Council tax

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Good morning,

Help please if possible.
Does anyone come under Sefton Council?
I am finding it impossible to apply for a council tax reduction on line on the Sefton Council website. On line is the way the council has asked for it to be done, they say they will respond within 2 weeks!
I fill in the on line form ( O.H has had Alzheimers for about 2+ years) ) and then try to attach the copies of the AA form and the signed G.P’s form. I can attach one form but the web page won’t let be do both! I have tried 3 times, my son tried at Xmas, no luck. I’ve tried to phone them, no answer just a long recorded message. I phoned the local carers association for advice, no luck there, our Citizens Advice office is closed!
Help and suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
Hi
i had similar issues with an online application and had given up but the social prescriber at mums doctors made a request for a paper application to be sent out to me.

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
Hi @Skylark/2

Not sure if it's any help but on the Sefton Council website they show an option for applying in person. You can fill out the application at the Bootle or Southport office and you can submit the forms at libraries in Crosby, Formby, Maghull, Netherton or Southport.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Good morning,

Help please if possible.
I am finding it impossible to apply for a council tax reduction on line on the Sefton Council website. On line is the way the council has asked for it to be done, they say they will respond within 2 weeks!
I fill in the on line form ( O.H has had Alzheimers for about 2+ years) ) and then try to attach the copies of the AA form and the signed G.P’s form. I can attach one form but the web page won’t let be do both! I have tried 3 times, my son tried at Xmas, no luck. I’ve tried to phone them, no answer just a long recorded message. I phoned the local carers association for advice, no luck there, our Citizens Advice office is closed!
Hi @Skylark/2: I'm not your council area but I expect lots of councils request on line applications but I didn't know that at the time.(2022)
Following diagnosis,the memory clinic nurse visited and I was told of the disregard. I wrote a letter addressed to ' The Disregard Council Tax Department' with the councils address. I explained briefly the situation. A week later I got a letter with a tick box form ,requesting details,DLA/AA, GP address and a permission request to contact GP. I returned the form and three weeks later I received a letter awarding the disregard and telling me a refund would be paid into my account . Refund was because the award was from the previous September when GP surgery had been informed of the diagnosis.
It was quick and much easier than I imagined it would be. I'd write a paper letter if I were you .
Best wishes

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I got my wifes discount backdated to diagnosis date.
K
Assuming qualifying benefit eligibility at that date, correct, not all LAs back date in accordance with legalisation although date of SMI confirmation can be a problem.

2(1)A person shall be disregarded for the purposes of discount on a particular day if—
(a)on the day he is severely mentally impaired;

(b)as regards any period which includes the day he is stated in a certificate of a registered medical practitioner to have been or to be likely to be severely mentally impaired; and

(c)as regards the day he fulfils such conditions as may be prescribed by order made by the Secretary of State.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/schedule/1/crossheading/the-severely-mentally-impaired .

3.—(1) The condition prescribed for the purposes of paragraph 2(1)(c) of Schedule 1 to the Act is that the person in question is entitled to one of the qualifying benefits listed in paragraph (2) below.

(2) The qualifying benefits for the purposes of paragraph (1) are—

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/548/made .

Last edited:

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hello everyone,

thank you for your advice, this is the place to come if you need support and advice on ANY subject!
Our Social Subscriber phoned me at lunchtime and so I told him my problem…..I am meeting him on Friday and he is going to sort it out! Thank you @McSuffolk .

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
I’m happy to help and hear you’ve sorted a solution 😊 I’m sure those local authority websites pages for disregard etc are designed to be as difficult to navigate as they possibly can be!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
DonT know I just got asked for proof of a Severe Mental Impairment SMI and got the backdate, council tax and what was then Carers Allowance for me.
More than 10 years age, might be the rules have changed, UK England rules applied then.
K

Oakapple

Jul 26, 2022
Good morning,

Help please if possible.

Oakapple

Jul 26, 2022
Yes I live in same local authority.
I can't remember the precise details but I do remember it was very quick coming through, within a couple of weeks. If I remember correctly once I received the form back from the GP I just posted it off.
I know this isn't much help to you but maybe just send it through the post.
I do remember thinking how quick and effecient Sefton had been.
Good luck.