Council tax reduction

ian01

Dec 10, 2023
Hi, Mum has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and the psychiatrist gave me an information pack. I'm the pack it says I can apply for a council tax discount for her. I've filled out the form called 'council tax status discount/exemption the Severely Mentally Impaired'' and the psychiatrist has filled in her part of the form and signed it.

There is another form called 'council tax discount application carers' I don't live with Mum but my brother does, the criteria says he must provide at least 35 hrs of care which he definitely doesn't so presume I ignore this form?

Do I just send a copy of the 1st form and a copy of the attendance allowance award letter to the council?

Thanks,
Ian

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
You can claim council tax discount of 25% for someone living with dementia if there is someone else in property,
I think the 'council tax discount application carers' only applies if they are employed so probably only be able to claim the first as you said.
If you send in the forms and they need any additional information they will contact you (ours did) You can also get it back dated.
This may help

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Once my wife was diagnosed I got a 25% discount on my council tax as I was classified as living alone, (UK England), and it's not a discount it is a mandatory disregard, same as underaged children, it's mandatory not discretionnaly with the right paperwork saying a Sever Mental Impairment mandatory disregard, live alone and it's CT free. K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyDav