council tax reduction

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
I have just applied for a council tax reduction, I didn't know about it until I read it on this forum. I couldn't find the letter from DWP awarding my oh attendance allowance, so I phoned them and they sent out a copy of the letter, I also phoned the gp 's receptionst and she printed a copy of proof that he has alzheimers. and I've filled in the form from the council, so fingers crossed, hopefully I've done it correctly. I'll let you know...

Mazurka

Apr 30, 2023
I did the same, and received a 25% reduction which was backdated to the start date of the Attendance Allowance. Good luck!

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
I have just applied for a council tax reduction, I didn't know about it until I read it on this forum. I couldn't find the letter from DWP awarding my oh attendance allowance, so I phoned them and they sent out a copy of the letter, I also phoned the gp 's receptionst and she printed a copy of proof that he has alzheimers. and I've filled in the form from the council, so fingers crossed, hopefully I've done it correctly. I'll let you know...
I was the same,it took months for them to sort it but it was backdated to the letter from the gp,it means I don't have to pay it for the rest of this year as I've paid the full amount since april which covers the years bill! Also next year will be 25% discount.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
That's great...I can't understand why it takes them months...they told me it could take a month ..and I shouldn't phone them before that...

Mazurka

Apr 30, 2023
Don't give up. The wheels of the council move slowly, and like your other reply, when it's done it will be backdated, and should be automatic for next year's tax. By the way, has anyone had the experience of their partner not communicating? my wife knows who I am, but when I pose a question she just stares at me, and I struggle to get an answer. She also seems to have lost a lot of her mobility. At lest I have got the help now from from Community Nurses. They have provided continence pants. Also Social care sent nurses from the department who assess my wife's physical needs. They are going to provide equipment for help with bathing, toilet, and getting in and out of bed. This is all great, and I am also going toget help from Social Care to help with washing, and personal hygiene. My wife, though, is suspicious of all this, and as she is a very private person, may resist. However, it all helps, but as any carer will tell you, it's the emotional trauma, for which there is only limited help. Not moaning, but would like to know if anyone has experienced this behaviour.