Council tax and alzheimers

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
My dad has just been diagnosed although I have had a hunch for a couple of years . He with my mum who getsv anxious and cannot distract herself until dad has sorted whatever tiny issue ... (for years)
Hr claims he is not ill enough to apply for reduced council tax
Is there a line he has to cross for him not being considered for council tax? Does he have to have formally lost capacity so mum can gwt single person discount on council tax?
And if yes, who judges this?

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I think it varies from Council to Council. Our council requires receipt of a benefit eg attendance allowance to show that you have the illness but I believe other Councils may accept a diagnosis of dementia. I suggest you contact the appropriate Council or just go on website to check their Council's criteria as a first step - you can do this as a general enquiry and it may help you in persuading your mum and dad if he seems to meet the criteria. Once I got attendance allowance it was an easy form to fill in to claim the CT reduction.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
our Age Uk told me that it is means tested, so no council tax discount if you have savings. I think it is still over 23,500,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
our Age Uk told me that it is means tested, so no council tax discount if you have savings. I think it is still over 23,500,

I found this.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
I got the discount for my parents. I downloaded form from council website, got gp to sign it and within two days of returning to council my parents had discount. They get attendance allowance which I had to prove but no questions about what savings they have

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its not council tax discount you want - its council tax disregard due to "severe mental incapacity" (charming eh?) which covers everyone with a diagnosis of dementia and in receipt of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or PIP. I think the GP has to sign the form, but I may be wrong there. It is not means tested

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I wasn't asked for GP to sign form - I think the Council take it as ok if you are getting allowance. May be different for other Council's.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I wasn't asked for GP to sign form - I think the Council take it as ok if you are getting allowance. May be different for other Council's.
Did they ask for permission to contact GP?
Several LAs do this and send the certificate to the GP to sign and return.
People without any mental impairment can receive relevant benefits.

2023-11-02_085755.png

2023-11-02_091347.png

Last edited:

extoyboy

Oct 2, 2021
When we applied I provided the details of the nurse at the memory clinic rather than our GP (as the clinic's diagnosis was recent) and the council accepted their confirmation as proof. It took a bit of chasing as correspondence between the council and clinic was all postal and went missing but we got there in the end and it was back-dated to her diagnosis date.

Ibiza1

Nov 2, 2023
My dad has just been diagnosed although I have had a hunch for a couple of years . He with my mum who getsv anxious and cannot distract herself until dad has sorted whatever tiny issue ... (for years)
Is there a line he has to cross for him not being considered for council tax? Does he have to have formally lost capacity so mum can gwt single person discount on council tax?
And if yes, who judges
Hi Catherine, my mum was diagnosed in July 21. I have POA and applied for the council tax relief on her behalf this year. They contacted her GP who confirmed the diagnosis and the CT was refunded back dated to July 21. Mum also gets attendance allowance, which I applied for on her behalf. Probably best to ring the council and check their guidance. Good luck. Life is hard enough caring for someone with dementia so I’d go for all the benefits that you can get and to which your dad is entitled.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Its not council tax discount you want - its council tax disregard due to "severe mental incapacity" (charming eh?) which covers everyone with a diagnosis of dementia and in receipt of Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or PIP. I think the GP has to sign the form, but I may be wrong there. It is not means tested
ok, thanks, @canarry, will try and talk again with CAB as the admiral nurse did tell me we can, but AGE UK told me it is mean tested

Browlands

Nov 1, 2023
Hello, I can confirm that the Council Tax discount of 25% is not means tested. As long as you have a diagnosis of Dementia and are in receipt of Attendance Allowance and or other benefits you will be granted the discount speak to your local council office

richlyn123

Aug 15, 2021

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I can confirm that the Council Tax discount of 25% is not means tested.
It's not a discount and not a fixed 25%, it's a non means tested disregard, for council tax purposes the person does not exist.

Sole occupant disregarded - no council tax.
Two occupants, one disregarded - sole occupant 25% reduction applies.
Three or more occupants, one disregarded - two or more occupants no reduction.

More than one occupant can be disregarded.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Hello, I can confirm that the Council Tax discount of 25% is not means tested. As long as you have a diagnosis of Dementia and are in receipt of Attendance Allowance and or other benefits you will be granted the discount speak to your local council office
thank you, I will try that

siobhan55

Jan 31, 2023
thank you, I will try that
Hi
My mum was diagnosed a year ago but her attendance allowance was only granted in February. It was April before we got the form back from doctor and our local council have only just amended their bill by the 25% reduction. They have backdated it though.