Cold Hands

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
An observation which has become an increasing challenge for mum... She presents with rheumatoid arthritis, not usually a problem but for the past two or three years her hands go hot and cold, of late the coldness has increased in frequency most notably the right hand. Now I understand that 'temperature control' for older people can become a bit of a problem but it affects her ability to manipulate objects; I've used hand warmers, hot water bottles, fingerless gloves with some success but long-term? Any ideas folks? And is this a common problem? I've researched the topic but would like to narrow down the search if I could.

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hello there,

sadly I have no answers or advice, however I can say my husband has the same problem as your mother. He too is arthritic ( not badly ) but his hands are freezing cold and he does say he feels cold all the time. At present he wears thermal underwear, flannel shirt, jumper plus gilet during the day, thermal underwear, duvet, 2 blankets, 3 hot water bottles in bed…plus me! Needless to say I feel extremely warm.
At our local dementia cafe meeting I was told feeling the cold was quite a common problem , it’s almost as the the brain’s ‘ thermostat’ is getting faulty due to Alzheimer’s.
Good luck with your ongoing search for ideas.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband has Renaud’s disease and occasionally his hands go blue or worse white. At home he uses wheat bags to warm his hands and feet but on days when he needs to have a pin prick blood test, it was always difficult to get enough blood.

I found a cheap power bank that has a heat function on it. It’s small enough, shaped to fit a hand and warms quickly. The first time he used it at the doctor’s for the blood test, it worked beautifully.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Have you considered gloves @Eddcorner I know they are not suitable to wear all the time but can be most effective when relaxing.

My body temperature fluctuates and my hands are often cold.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Hello there,

sadly I have no answers or advice, however I can say my husband has the same problem as your mother. He too is arthritic ( not badly ) but his hands are freezing cold and he does say he feels cold all the time. At present he wears thermal underwear, flannel shirt, jumper plus gilet during the day, thermal underwear, duvet, 2 blankets, 3 hot water bottles in bed…plus me! Needless to say I feel extremely warm.
At our local dementia cafe meeting I was told feeling the cold was quite a common problem , it’s almost as the the brain’s ‘ thermostat’ is getting faulty due to Alzheimer’s.
Good luck with your ongoing search for ideas.
Hi @Skylark/2

Mum often runs and hot cold, can be quite a challenge adjusting to compensate! The hands, especially the right is a biggy as it impacts her functionality; mealtimes where mum is determined to complete tasks herself (which I applaud her for) can be extended for lengthy periods. After numerous (failed) strategies I settled on a hot water bottle bagged twice in pillowcases across her lap with her wrists lying atop same. Not ideal but workable. Handwarmers were great to start off with but didn't allow for doing tasks as mum would be loathe to let go... Creativity is the name of the game with this one methinks!

Nighttime yep, warm then cold... adjust the blankets early a.m. and then she can be sweating profusely by 6am! I do have a bottle at feet, also one at bad knee and for cold hands. During the day if too hot mum will just drop off and zone out with loss of cognitive functioning. Have wall thermometers now by bed and in living room, if it hits 18 4° during the day - total shut down though!! Caught between the devil and deep blue sea on this as well ;) I don't envy your own 'sauna' like bedtime!! I overheat myself very easily, how you manage to sleep - wow, I'd struggle.

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Have you considered gloves @Eddcorner I know they are not suitable to wear all the time but can be most effective when relaxing.

My body temperature fluctuates and my hands are often cold.
Thanks @Grannie G 'cold hands warm heart' is what they say :)

I did try fingerless gloves but mum's rheumatoid arthritis would flare, wrists like tennis balls and fingers like sausages! Yeah I often have cold hands myself, hands under cushion on lap more often than not.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
My husband has Renaud’s disease and occasionally his hands go blue or worse white. At home he uses wheat bags to warm his hands and feet but on days when he needs to have a pin prick blood test, it was always difficult to get enough blood.

I found a cheap power bank that has a heat function on it. It’s small enough, shaped to fit a hand and warms quickly. The first time he used it at the doctor’s for the blood test, it worked beautifully.
Yes @Lawson58

I got something similar for mum (power bank) and it’s great for warming hands. Her left hand can curl into a death like grip however although we've been working on this with a small measure of improvement recently. When completing tasks with right hand it can be challenging too as mum won't just warm her hand and return to what she was doing, mum just gets upset if I encourage her to let it go. In a general sense between activities it's a good call, works well as a pocket warmer with adjustable settings. I do get concerned about any potential pain associated with the 'white hand' thing including the impact on mobility; handholding and frequent foot massage provides some relief I reckon, plus mum likes a bit of pampering too ;)

Total domino effect with one issue leading to another aspect of health care management... And as I mentioned in a previous reply, creative thinking just becomes the norm in meeting the needs of our loved ones. Thank goodness for TP!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I also found a vest that is wired to warm up using a power bank but we are not into winter yet so I don’t know how good it will be. Will update you.

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hi @Skylark/2

Mum often runs and hot cold, can be quite a challenge adjusting to compensate! The hands, especially the right is a biggy as it impacts her functionality; mealtimes where mum is determined to complete tasks herself (which I applaud her for) can be extended for lengthy periods. After numerous (failed) strategies I settled on a hot water bottle bagged twice in pillowcases across her lap with her wrists lying atop same. Not ideal but workable. Handwarmers were great to start off with but didn't allow for doing tasks as mum would be loathe to let go... Creativity is the name of the game with this one methinks!

Nighttime yep, warm then cold... adjust the blankets early a.m. and then she can be sweating profusely by 6am! I do have a bottle at feet, also one at bad knee and for cold hands. During the day if too hot mum will just drop off and zone out with loss of cognitive functioning. Have wall thermometers now by bed and in living room, if it hits 18 4° during the day - total shut down though!! Caught between the devil and deep blue sea on this as well ;) I don't envy your own 'sauna' like bedtime!! I overheat myself very easily, how you manage to sleep - wow, I'd struggle.
Lovely sunny day, warm enough to sit outside but husband still in ‘ winter clothing ‘ with central heating blasting away, and we are still having duvet, blankets and hot water bottles at bedtime! I’d love to say I sleep like a baby in spite of the sauna like bed arrangements but husband doesn’t sleep well and likes to keep me awake , from about 2 a.m , ( with my feet out of bed trying to get cool ) and tell me for the umpteenth time about the good old days he had with his wife……that’s me by the way, married for 52 years! Could be worse I remind myself.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Would a muff on her lap help? A wide tube of teddy fleece type material, fairly long so it went up to her elbows, but was kinda baggy ( Not tight)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Lovely sunny day, warm enough to sit outside but husband still in ‘ winter clothing ‘ with central heating blasting away, and we are still having duvet, blankets and hot water bottles at bedtime! I’d love to say I sleep like a baby in spite of the sauna like bed arrangements but husband doesn’t sleep well and likes to keep me awake , from about 2 a.m , ( with my feet out of bed trying to get cool ) and tell me for the umpteenth time about the good old days he had with his wife……that’s me by the way, married for 52 years! Could be worse I remind myself.
Yes, I know what you mean about sleeping! This past eight years has reminded me what a gift sleep is haha :) And 52 years wow! I would like to say my own marriage was as strong and successful as yours, mine was very much hot and cold pardon the pun!

I like to think mum still knows who I am, perhaps deep down..? I get the occasional acknowledgement but regardless she knows that someone cares for her and that I'm a constant in her life ❤

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
It’s wonderful to hear you are a constant in your mum’s life and managing to deal with all the ups and down this horrendous disease throws at carers and sufferers alike. I take my hat off to you!
We have 2 sons, one in the U.S and one at the end of the M62. His dad’s Alzheimer’s is the elephant in the room, he doesn’t seem to be able to handle it. He and his wife came for a 2 hour visit on Easter Sunday ( his 2nd visit since Xmas ) , hardly spoke to either of us whilst I gabbled away to Cover a silence. It’s almost as though he can’t wait to leave quick enough and then after they’ve left, I’m left to calm an angry husband who‘ s yelling ‘ why does he bother coming etc., ‘ He phones for approx 3 minutes ( I time the length ) every Sunday and answers my question’s monosyllabic. I confess I could cry, I feel abandoned.I have noticed since my husband’s diagnosis that you find out who your true friends are, the ones who stay and the ones who drift away!
Sorry this has turned into a moan but we didn’t sleep at all last night, husband just couldn’t settled and now we are both shattered and I suppose I’m feeling sorry for myself.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Would a muff on her lap help? A wide tube of teddy fleece type material, fairly long so it went up to her elbows, but was kinda baggy ( Not tight)
Yes we have an owl one @Jessbow

The challenge is mum's left hand can constrict quite frequently and I try to keep eyes on it, mum also has vasovagal events, an indicator one is coming are clammy palms... I still utilise it when we go out but whilst at home I occasionally flip between handwarmers in-between tasks and a hot water bottle across lap for activities. All the suggestions I've received are warmly welcomed however, I think I was just looking for a universal cure all - impossible I know ;) And as mum's needs are constantly shifting as with all dementia sufferers I'll just have to try and keep up! Chinese puzzle has nothing on this one folks.