Care home for younger people with Alzheimer’s

DebNicks

Dec 27, 2022
My sister in law is 65 and in her 4th year with Alzheimer’s. She lives on her own but it has got to the stage where she has started to wander / knock on neighbours doors in the middle of the night and forgets to take her medicine. We have decided to try Jane in a home for a trial but the other people in there are in their 80’s and she keeps crying saying they are not like me. We have looked at others homes but the age ranges are always the same. Does anybody have any advice on an alternative option for us. We would be very grateful as a family for any advice as this is breaking our hearts. Thank you so much

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @DebNicks

I have two experiences of care homes - with my mum and with OH

OH was 63 the first time he had to go into respite when I was ill and there was quite a lot of problems because he was too young for most care homes to accept him. One place made an exception and yes, all the other residents were much older, but OH didnt seem to mind.

My mum was almost 90 when she moved into her care home permanently, but she said that everyone was much older than her (!) and they were all mad! In reality she was one of the oldest and certainly not one of the most able ones......

It depends very much on how they perceive themselves. My mum thought she was a young woman and your sister-in-law may well think the same, so even if you manage to find somewhere for younger people she may not be happy there either.

Im afraid that wandering is a huge red flag and almost impossible to stop in a domestic situation. Your SIL needs a secure unit to keep her safe and it always takes people with dementia a couple of months to settle. I must add, that mum did settle and was then happy in her care home.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My sister in law is 65 and in her 4th year with Alzheimer’s. She lives on her own but it has got to the stage where she has started to wander / knock on neighbours doors in the middle of the night and forgets to take her medicine. We have decided to try Jane in a home for a trial but the other people in there are in their 80’s and she keeps crying saying they are not like me. We have looked at others homes but the age ranges are always the same. Does anybody have any advice on an alternative option for us. We would be very grateful as a family for any advice as this is breaking our hearts. Thank you so much
The other residents may be older but their behaviours/issues are the same. Of course, Jane will not see it that way.

This is the time for 'love lies'. Tell her it's just for now and that you are looking for somewhere more suitable. Keep saying it.

Sarahkb

Apr 3, 2022
My husband is 50 and we have struggled for 2 years to find a suitable respite care home because of his young age, majority won’t even consider him and others correctly say he just couldn’t manage because of the age difference and activities on offer which are unsuitable. After a lot of fighting with social services we now have agreement and funding for him to have a support worker all day when in residential respite to enable him to go out shopping, for coffee, etc. snd to keep him occupied when in. This has made a difference. He is not bothered by the obvious age gap at all though which makes it easier.

Stephenb905

Jan 15, 2024
My OH is in a similar position, having been recently diagnosed with PCA, most social groups aren't suitable, but it's been recently suggested she could do social activities with a support worker,