Attendance allowance query

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
My mum is self-funding in a care home. She has been receiving attendance allowance at the lower rate since she was first diagnosed with dementia at which time she was living at home.
Does anyone know whether you are entitled to the higher rate when in a care home? She went in when she was seriously threatening to "go home" and so needed to be kept safe etc.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does anyone know whether you are entitled to the higher rate when in a care home?
My wife received higher rate when self funding in a nursing home, it was some years ago, I don't think it's changed.

For changing from lower to higher there is special shortened form only obtainable on request.

Last edited:

Anne19

Apr 5, 2023
If she is self funding she should be entitled to the higher rate automatically - just give DWP a call and let them know she is self funding.

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello @yoy
My parents were receiving the lower rate whilst at home.
When I knew they would be staying in the Care Home I contacted DWP as @Anne19 says by phone and was sent a form to complete I needed to say how many times they needed help during the night etc - they are obviously needing 24 hour care and that's why they moved into a Care Home but I had to complete another form similar to the original form.
Staff at the Care Home provided me with some details.
It all went through ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Hello @yoy
My parents were receiving the lower rate whilst at home.
When I knew they would be staying in the Care Home I contacted DWP as @Anne19 says by phone and was sent a form to complete I needed to say how many times they needed help during the night etc - they are obviously needing 24 hour care and that's why they moved into a Care Home but I had to complete another form similar to the original form.
Staff at the Care Home provided me with some details.
It all went through ok.
Ok. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: