Always tired

Sailor Tom

Dec 9, 2017
Is anyone always tired. Ever since I have been living with dementia i feel like i have been tired. I can have a good night's sleep but by mid day i have go back to bed and sleep for at least 2 hours, sometimes 4 hours.

Tom

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome Tom.
Personally I get down to the GP and tell them this, could be a side effect of medications, but it needs checking out.
I'm no sailor but just bought a second boat nearer home (on the canal) nothing like sleeping with a boat to rock you to sleep. K

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
Tom, my O H always seems to be tired,,,,he sits and nods off all the time. he was always one for getting up at a reasonable time, but now he sleeps till 11 am...if I don't waken him...

Sailor Tom

Dec 9, 2017
Hello and welcome Tom.
Personally I get down to the GP and tell them this, could be a side effect of medications, but it needs checking out.
I'm no sailor but just bought a second boat nearer home (on the canal) nothing like sleeping with a boat to rock you to sleep. K
I've see my GP but it's always the same there don't have clue I've given up with them i think there just a wast of time

Tom

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Sailor Tom
My wife has Alz's and there was a time when she was getting v tired.
A blood test showed she was anaemic, needed more iron in her diet. After an iron supplement for a short spell and a better diet, she recovered her energy somewhat.
Then some while later the progress of the Alz's makes her tired, and needing more rest during the day even though she's no longer anaemic.
Best wishes

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Tom, my O H always seems to be tired,,,,he sits and nods off all the time. he was always one for getting up at a reasonable time, but now he sleeps till 11 am...if I don't waken him...
Same with mine. Sleeps a lot and needs to be asked to get up late morning, but then nods off in the sofa on and off

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
As long as you’re eating healthily and doctors have ruled out other possible causes, it might be as well to listen to your body and just rest when you need to. This would conserve energy so you can make the best of your waking hours. When my body calls for an afternoon nap, I think of it as recharging my batteries.

Sending you best wishes.

GlennBurch

Apr 10, 2024
Yes, fatigue can be a common symptom of Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in the brain, insomnia, decreased physical activity, or side effects of medications. Regular walks in the fresh air, healthy eating and maintaining a sleep schedule can help cope with this.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Sailor Tom

In addition to suggestions already made, I also think people with dementia have to expend more energy just to keep their heads above water.

I know if my husband had a day out, he needed recovery time the following day and would sleep for most of it.

If all medical and medication possibilities have been ruled out, your body is telling you it needs sleep.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
However, as time progresses and I get older, I am also finding that I seem to have less energy and get tired sooner too, not just my PWD!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rungo