Aaaarrrggghhhh. Why do SS not help!!!

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
So, a care home has a room but they won’t hold it for a week. I can’t just drop and go. I’m over 500 miles away from dad. I am extremely busy with work on run up to Christmas. I have now at long last found a person who will befriend dad, visiting him once a week and is happy to help move dad into a care home when the time comes but she hasn’t met him yet. She’s meeting him next week. And although she says she’s happy to help move dad in etc, she does have other clients so it’s not guaranteed to fit in with timings. It seems the family (me) are expected to drop everything and travel 500 miles (which takes a bit if organising-trains to book, accomodation to book, hire car to book) let alone the cost of all that at this timid year and arrange kennels for dogs etc.

Social services don’t at all. I really don’t understand how a department can title themselves ‘social services’ if they don’t provide any ‘social services’ to an elderly person with Alzheimer’s living alone. I can’t find any private caters to help. So it’s looking like I’m going to have to turn down the room.

What on Earth happens to those who have no family. It seems to me that distance makes no difference. I could live in Australia and I’d be expected to bomb over there in a week! And each and every time dad needs moving.

Just feeling overwhelmed. Add dad’s incessant phone calls telling me the same complaints he has every day. I’m worn out.

ArduousWolf

Oct 10, 2023
What on Earth happens to those who have no family.

Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I have to ask myself this every time I have to deal with service providers. Even the services that end up being helpful and supportive, you have to jump through so many hoops to get to them. It's no wonder so many vulnerable people of all ages "fall through the cracks."

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Can you not take the room and pay for it then move dad in as you can. Are you self funding?
I had the run around yesterday as told me docs,docs told me ss. Ss phone then developed a fault the rest of the day. Sigh