A Day To remeber 2012

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
A
Day To
Remember
12th Jan 2012

Today I stood in front of half of the Council of Torbay, and others.
Today I asked them for help to set up a Torbay Dementia Action Alliance.
Today, the first steps were made towards creating a T.D.A.A...
TODAY WAS A DAY TO REMEMBER!
As the time approached 10-50 are, I sat there, like a nervous little bunny rabbit imagining the worst!! “What if nobody turns up??” By 11am the room was quite full, not as many as expected but we had at least 12 of Torbay’s councillors under one roof including the Chairman of Torbay Council, and other community workers.
After the Local Newspaper Pictures taken and warm handshakes were exchanged it was down to business. Ian Sherriff from Plymouth University opened the meeting, I spoke second, straight and from the heart, Debbie Donnison came next (Area manger of the Alzheimer’s society South West) and then it was a Q+A session.
Without boring you all too much, we had FULL support from all the councillors, we had a promise of exchanging contacts of people I hadn’t even heard of who would happily sit on the steering group, and best of all, without asking we were told that people at today’s meeting were going to contact people who would quite happily contribute something to fund something like this.
If I had any complaints it would be that we didn’t have any volunteers to actually “Chair” this group. I was asked to, but I had to explain that it’s the nature of my illness that means I might not be able to make all the meetings required, especially any evening ones.
Still, we have made a start; we have raised awareness within Torbay Council that this is what needs to happen, we have made contact with some of those who can make things happen within Torbay, and they are going to contact those who will come along, join the steering group and hopefully make Torbay the first dementia friendly place in the UK
Today the
TORBAY DEMENTIA ACTION ALLIANCE
WAS BORN !!!!!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Another credit to you, Norrms - well done!

I am disappointed for you about this but hopefully some bright capable person will come along.
that we didn’t have any volunteers to actually “Chair” this group

My best wishes

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Alliance

thank you my friend, i was asked but had to explain that even i will be there to advise i cannot take the "Chair" as my iollness sometimes dictates how much i can do xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Congratulations Norms, and thank you for your never-ending work to raise awareness of dementia.
You are one wonderful guy!!!:)

Love to all the family, Necion. xxxx