Zoot Suits

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Can anyone who has any information on this product please give me some advice. There are several men on Ken's EMI ward at the hospital who constantly strip off their clothes. I suggested 'zoot suits' but in reality I do not know very much about them except that they fasten at the back and are useful in cases such as I have described.

I was chatting to a staff nurse and several auxhilliary nurses about zoot suits and suggested they would be the ideal solution to maintaing the dignity of patients who display this type of behaviour. I was told that they would not be allowed to use them as they constituted a form of abuse in that they would restrain the patient.

Has anyone knowledge of use of these suits and what exactly are they? Could they be a form of abuse? xx TinaT

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Alfjess is the expert on this - she's the one who actually ordered one for her mother. Frankly I'd say that these people who are talking about restraint are talking out of their you know what. The ones I've come across offer restraint only in the sense that someone with dementia "probably" can't work out how to get them off - you and I would be able to. In other words they simply make the fastenings less accessible than they might be.

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Tina and Jennifer,

Why do people talk such utter rubbish, you so rightly are trying to preserve the dignity of patients and bless you for it.

Sorry, I'm just old and cannot understand,

Felt I had to butt in and say well done for searching for something so worthwhile.

Love to you both.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Tina

Zoot suit is the name I gave to the suit used in hospital for my Mother.
Sorry,just what I named it, I definately don't think that is what they are called.

Thanks to Jennifer's research and link, I found suits for the inappropiate undresser If you google The Independence Store, (sorry if this is advertising, but I think of it as help)
you will find male and female suits, which look like normal clothes.

I bought 2 of these suits for my Mother, which looked much better than the hospital ZOOT suit. I don't know why the staff in the hospital are saying it is a form of restraint. These suits are much more dignified than the hospital one and certainly more dignified than being naked.

Although the inappropiate undresser suits do the job, the quality of the material is poor, so now we have improvised 4 more suits ourselves.

We have looked in lots of charity shops for blouses/tops with a zip up the back. Believe me there are not many of these tops to be found. Then we have machined them to elastic waisted trousers. (mainly my joggers.)

It would be much more difficult to improvise a male suit.

Staff at Mum's hospital thought they were a great idea and were going to order some for the ward and now the staff in Mum's continuing care home think they are a godsend

Restraint?? It must all be in the interpetation or maybe down to funds?

Love
Alfjess

Gwenno

Jun 18, 2006
Worcestershire
Well done Tina your are an inspiration. I hope that some of these ideas can be taken to other hospitals and Care/Nursing Homes.

It does seem that having and Official position changes situations. Well whatever it takes to do that it's a great advancement and of benefit to patients and families.

Keep up the good work

Cloudwatcher

Nov 2, 2007
West Sussex
Ask the Professionals

Just had a thought. If we find resistance from professionals regarding Zoot suit type clothing, maybe we could ask them the following question.......

If they were in our loved ones situation and unable to make a decision, would they prefer to be wearing a garment that they were unable to easily remove and maintain their dignity or would they like to lose all dignity and be naked in the full glare of all???

I think I know what their answer would be!

It is more a form abuse allowing our loved ones to freely undress in public, which in their former state before dementia the majority would never of dreamt of doing this. (I say majority as you never know there might be the odd naturist out there!!) :)

Lee x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
The staff seem to be rigid in their interpretation of abuse and afraid of 'getting into trouble'. Quite understandable but sadly this attitude stops them from questioning their own practice on the ward. If they are seen to rigidly comply with what they percieve as rules or 'suspect' areas, this of course gives them the security of a 'back covering mentality' which protects themselves. I think that modern society in general has stopped using common sense in many areas and retreats behind a smoke screen,rather than be passionate about their job and implementing best practice which shows they have given careful thought to helping patients.

Such rigidity never serves its purpose as it actually cannot allow good practice to go forward. Hospitals are large institutions quite rightly governed by rigid rules intended to protect patients. It is also a hiarachical structure and I wonder what hospitals are actually doing to promote best practice, which surely incorporates trials of new products which may be helpful such as the zoot suit. xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Tina.

The development of a litigation culture and political correctness gone mad, seems to have stopped anyone being able to think outside of the box.

But the paradox is that while all this is being followed to the letter, people in some homes, hospitals and assessment units are still being treated abominably.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Tina

I think maybe the problem with your hospital is that when they hear the suits are back fastening, they think of it as restraint.

I once put Mum's cardigan on back to front. ie. buttons at the back.

I was told by the staff, they were not allowed to do this, as it was classed as restraint

But if clothes are designed with a back fastening zip, then I don't think, it would be seen as restraint. After all some dresses have a zip at the back and I for one have to get my husband to help zip me up and then again unzip me at the end of the night.

Maybe, if you can print from the website some examples to show the sister or manager, then they will understand that these suits are not restraining. Quite the opposite in fact.

I believe that me holding on to Mum's jumper, blouse, trousers etc. when she is wanting to remove them, is more restraining and frustrating for mum and causes her more agitation than the suits she can't remove.

Could you tell the relatives of the other patients, about the suits? If they insist on their relatives wearing them, then I don't think there is much the staff can do about it.

I will be interested to know the outcome.

Best of luck
Alfjess

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm starting a support cafe for the friends, carers and relatives of patients on the ward. I have had good backing from the ward manager and the matron (the support might be something to do with me being a governor) and have been allowed to use the day unit next door to the ward, which is empty at the weekends. I'll initially run the cafe 1 Saturday each month during visiting hours to see how it goes. This would be a very good place to chat about the 'zoot suits' and introduce them to relatives, I think. Will let you all know the progress xxx TinaT

Cloudwatcher

Nov 2, 2007
West Sussex
Well done you! I am sure it will be a great a success and everyone will appreciate your effort and gain from your support. I would love to be able to do something like this but I work shifts and can't be regular. Good luck Tina and keep us updated on how it goes.

Love Lee x

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Tina

I echo WELL DONE!

I hope your cafe is very successful. The more education there is about AD, the better and more support for carers is even better.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. It may encourage more of us carers to follow suit. ie. providing we have any energy left.

Love
Alfjess

Jim L.

Feb 19, 2008
California
Zoot Suit Hints.

Right up front I need to let you know I'm in this industry of providing "undressing" clothes for Alzheimer patients.

AND! I'm not trying to sell my clothing. I work in the U.S. and the reality of shipping and selling to England and Europe is far to expensive for you and me.

But, here are some of the search words I've seen here that seem to help locate the people who help with these problems. Jump Suits, Jumpsuits, and Alzheimer's clothes seem to pull up a number of good bits of information and I hope they help you too.

If you want, you can look at my website (Moderator note: website name deleted) and see some of the helpful ideas we have learned about.

I hope this information will help you.
Jim

Last edited by a moderator: