Zips and Buttons

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
My wife is only 60 but is now having problems with zips and buttons on trousers when she goes to the toilet. This can cause problems in public places. Does anyone know of any companies who sell reasonably fashionable elasticated waist trousers which will be easier for her to manage?

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
a suggestion

might it b possible to replace the buttons with small velcro patches? Not sure it would help just trying to make a suggestion.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Moderator note:
I just want to clarify the situation about recommending things here.

For more detail please check http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkin...ocuments_info.php?categoryID=12&documentID=23

Key points are:

Products and services

• Agreement that advertisement of any product or service by anyone related in any way to the producer or service provider is not permitted.
  • Agreement that reference to such products or services by a user is permitted provided that named reference is not made to any care or nursing home or hospital or firm providing legal and financial advice on a financial basis, or to members of staff of organisations providing those products or services.
  • Agreement that any reference to third party organisations, their product/s or service/s does not imply endorsement by the Alzheimer's Society

In other words, if you have found something useful and are not in any way involved with the organisation or company concerned, you can post about it. Ideally always add "there are other such products available, this is just the one I know"

Moderators will exercise their discretion on whether a recommendation is appropriate.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Land's End also do a range of elastic waisted trousers ..in different leg lengths..for women.

They have a website too.

Like Sylvia..I wish there was a similar item of clothing for men!

Apart from track suit bottoms there doesn't seem to be anything.

Love gigi xx

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Men's Elasticated Trousers

I've also been hunting for mens elasticated trousers, without any success. But I have now come across these, not tried them out yet or seen them in "real life" so they may be ghastly. Will let you know when they arrive.

http://www.carewearclothing.com/product.php?productid=84&cat=56&page=1

And to quote Bruce (well almost) "I'm sure there are other such products available, this is just the one I know"

If anyone has had any better success would really appreciate knowing.

Jackie

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Nancy

That was a very sweet thought. I've just had a look at the website, which looks very useful, except I don't think they have an outlet in Shropshire, England - or anywhere in England actually. :D They mention shipping to Canada & 'far-north' America, but not anywhere outside the North American continent.

Regards

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Not sure if you live in England or somewhere far away. In England there are almost always disabled toilets which are large enough for you (or any other person caring for her whether male or female) to go in and assist with buttons, belts etc. There is also a National Disabled Toilet Key service where for a very small amount you can purchase a key which allows you to get into a locked disabled toilet. I visited my local Social Services office and was given a key free.

Hope this helps a little as I too have, at times, encountered problems when in public as my husband needs total help with all his personal care.

xxTinaT

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
For those of you interested...in a few days when things have calmed down a bit here, I will call and find out if they have a website for the UK or how they handle that. I would think they would look toward creating a larger clientele. Will post when I know something.

HUGS

Nancy

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi worldtraveller,

May I second gigi's suggestion about Lands End pull-on trowsers? I have bought their clothes for some time (over the internet) and have always been please with their quality and service.

They have a range of trousers in petite (28 inch inseam):

http://www1.landsend.co.uk/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=1243524&cgmenbr=361&mdiv=wm&cat_level=prod

and normal lengths:

http://www1.landsend.co.uk/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=1243472&cgmenbr=361&mdiv=wm&cat_level=prod

Take care,

Sandy

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi, I can't find my latest edition of the Caravan Club Magazine, but it has regular adverts for elasticated waist trousers, see if you can find them on their site - caravanclub.org.uk

Or you could look for a local seamstress (oops, sexist not intended) who can insert elastic plackets.

Regards

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Worldtraveller ...

My mum was previously a keen fan of Matalan stores and I have continued to shop there for her - don't know if you have one nearby. They do a lot of 'fashionable' but very practical clothes - trousers especially - which are very reasonably priced, and seem easy-care when it comes to the laundry. (Mum and I have always been fans of their non-iron blouses!;) ).

As well as buying mum's elasticated trousers there I also buy their 'stretch underwear' for her (like an elasticated bra - no hooks to fiddle with).

Love, Karen, x

PS: "there are other such products available, this is just the one I know" ;)

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks

Thanks for your help; I have the catalogue; why didn't I look first??

Hi worldtraveller,

May I second gigi's suggestion about Lands End pull-on trowsers? I have bought their clothes for some time (over the internet) and have always been please with their quality and service.

They have a range of trousers in petite (28 inch inseam):

http://www1.landsend.co.uk/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=1243524&cgmenbr=361&mdiv=wm&cat_level=prod

and normal lengths:

http://www1.landsend.co.uk/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=1243472&cgmenbr=361&mdiv=wm&cat_level=prod

Take care,

Sandy

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks gigi. I actually have a catalogue; why didn't I look there first?? Probably, because when you are caring for someone with dementia you don't always have time to yourself to think rationally!

Land's End also do a range of elastic waisted trousers ..in different leg lengths..for women.

They have a website too.

Like Sylvia..I wish there was a similar item of clothing for men!

Apart from track suit bottoms there doesn't seem to be anything.

Love gigi xx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear all

Butting in on this thread, but my mum's care home will only launder clothes than can be tumble dried. Not very eco-friendly, but there we are. So can all your suggested outlets provide clothes that can be tumble-dried? Or do we wash them ourselves? Probably easier.

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Oh just another thing came to mind. I noticed on several visits that my mum's trouser flies were undone. I didn't say anything to her but it worried me. I discovered that she had them on inside out, so couldn't zip them up. I have since learnt the same with skirts. She must be taking them off in such a way that they are inside out, and then can't manage the zip.

Just a thought for people.

Love

Margaret