Your tips: how do you make time for yourself?

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Every issue our magazine includes real life experiences, and they want to hear from you. This time, they're asking what advice would you give someone caring for a person with dementia about making time for themselves?

Is there anything that has helped you to spend time on your own or with others, or to do things that are just for your own enjoyment and wellbeing?

Please feel free to add your comments below, and they may be featured in the next issue of the magazine.

Thanks everyone :)

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Earlier in life I was a keen, and competitive, runner then cyclist.

As dementia crept in with my wife and I found it difficult to leave her for any great period of time I moved my cycling indoors. Now I can sit my wife in front of the TV for her beloved gameshows while I take myself into the spare room to the exercise equipment. As I don't have to worry about traffic etc., when indoors I have also managed to teach myself a second language and post on this forum while sitting on my bike. Who ever said men can't multitask!:D

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My OH goes to day centre or her exclusive club as we call it:D one day a week, and has a carer from the befriending scheme in one afternoon a week. That allows me to join a walking group and I just discovered there is a wellbeing café on the same day as the befriending carer comes in, so perfect timing.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks both for your comments :) It's really good to hear about how you've found ways to keep doing some of the things you enjoy. @nae sporran that sounds like great timing with the wellbeing cafe, and I'm impressed with your multitasking @karaokePete :D

If anyone else has any tips on how to make time for yourself while caring for someone, please feel free to share them below.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I came across the idea for mini respites, scattered across the day. When a song moves you stop and fully be with the song. Sway with the rhythm. When waiting for an action just take long slow breaths, just focus on in then out. This really helps when standing waiting for my very slow husband to get to a chair etc.
Beautiful sunset? Just stop and stare a while.
They they sleep ......rest! Slowing down makes more haste in the long run.

mickyg1000

Apr 27, 2017
My wife is in the third year after diagnosis with Alzheimer's, although she was suffering for some time before that. She is now very distressed if I am not with her which makes life very difficult. A sitting service has been provided by the local authority that has been going for a few weeks but she was very distressed at yesterdays session; she has this morning been with our Daughter, Granddaughter and Daughter in Law. She has been very distressed. I do not know what to do

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karen.geddes@thethinblack