Your tips: getting the right incontinence products

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Every issue our magazine includes real life experiences, and they want to hear from you. This time, we're asking for your tips on getting the right incontinence products.

Do you have any tips about getting the right continence products for someone with dementia? For example, the types that are right for the person, how they’re paid for, and how the person responds to using the products?

Please add your comments below, and they may be featured in the next issue of the magazine.

Thanks everyone :)

angelaraphael

May 29, 2017
Incontinence pads are free in Northern Ireland .The gp will refer you to the continence service and you will see a nurse. My mother started off with mini pads then pads then gradually increasing strengths of pull up panties. They will only allow two pairs of panties per day. There is a review once a year by a nurse but this can be done by phone . You get a number to ring for more pads. You can ring the nurse if you need stronger pads. They use Tena lady.

mjw1304

Oct 9, 2017
I order depend comfort pants for mum and they're fab, no leaks so far unlike with tena which used to leave her wet in the night

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @angelaraphael and @mjw1304 for your comments :)

Does anyone else have any tips or experiences to share on getting the right continence products? Is there anything you think would be helpful to someone reading your comments in the magazine?

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
There has been quite a lot of posts on disposal of used pads etc. Might that also be included in article?

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi @DeMartin - thanks for your helpful suggestion. The magazine editor will only be using comments from this specific thread, so if anyone has experiences they'd like to share around this topic, we'll need them to add it on here. Hopefully that helps to answer your question.

lubyloo

Feb 9, 2015
Worc's
HELP, my husband is beginning to need incontinence products, have bought a pack of tena 'nappies' but they are so hard to put on, have just read of the depend pants, it is also for bowel movements not just urine, any suggestions?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Step by step and if we are talking about buying own and not involving nhs continence service. At first it may be that just not able to get to toilet on time then a pad like Boots Staydry will suffice, easy to place into ordinary underwear. Further down the line larger pads will be required with higher absorbency levels, 'teardrop' guide on package will help to decide which one to buy. Night time always needs a higher absorbency level. Wrap arounds/ nappy types - these are the ones with sticky tape- are almost impossible to put on for one person. Most online companies will send free samples so take advantage of this, it will help you decide which product to buy. Good idea to have appropriate underwear for all pads - close fitting to hold pads in place, fixation pants will do this or a good fitting pair of ordinary ones.

A little about pull ups good to start with especially if female and wearing skirts, but if wearing trousers, not so easy to change without removal of all lower clothing and this can cause anxiety for Dementia sufferer - A battle I tried to avoid.

HarrietD,

Is any of the above useful to you, hope so, it is such a complicated area. Admire that you are trying to cover and give advise on this, but like most things with Dementia, complicated with many twists and turns. I still have a stock of pads that did not work, but I am slowly adapting them.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
hello, i find useful:
proshield incontinence spray, expensive though
dry wipes, free from boots, ask at counter
tena pads and pants
soapy warm water and flannel
p.