Your stories: caring for someone with dementia over Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Our Digital team recently launched the Alzheimer's Society blog, and are keen to use it to share your stories and experiences with others affected by dementia. In the run up to Christmas, we are inviting you to share your stories about past Christmases and/or concerns or questions about those ahead.

This week, we are focusing on caring for someone with dementia over Christmas. This can also include ideas for activities and ways of involving the whole family. If you have something to say about this subject and are willing for it to be potentially shared on the blog, please feel free to write about your experiences below.

Thank you :)

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Last Christmas was miserable. The weather was awful, plans to catch up with OH's son kept falling through, we did see her daughter a couple of times and she did enjoy opening presents. The thing is that her daughter then borrows money in January to pay for electricity bills and that sort of thing which she no longer has after spending it all on pointless presents. I have to sort out finances and can't burden OH with that as she can't handle it. She never really could, but worse with Dementia. Her daughter doesn't seem to make the connection, no matter how often I raise it.
It all makes for a rather lonely, stressful time. Of course, we still manage a nice lunch and a meal out at our favourite restaurant, which always helps with OH's mood and that has to be good. This year we are moving into extra care housing in the first week of December and hoping to get OH settled there before Christmas, but that is an extra worry at a time of cold wet weather and dark nights.
Sorry for the rant, needed to get a few things off my chest and this seemed like the right place.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
nae sporran, thanks for being so open about your experiences. I'm really sorry to hear that last year's Christmas was such a stressful and difficult time. I hope that everything goes ok with moving your OH into extra care housing, and hopefully she'll soon feel settled there.

If anyone else wants to add their comments, this thread will close at 5pm on Friday.

Thanks everyone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.