Your experiences of rising energy prices

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

Our Research and Influencing team would like to know: have you been affected by rising energy prices?

These are turbulent times for the energy sector, and households are experiencing rising prices and news of suppliers going out of business. The stark rise in prices can be seen on our energy bills.

There is extra financial support for fuel to vulnerable people, but others have told us how worried they are.

Your comments will count as primary evidence, so if our Research and Influencing team lobby the government, they can tell them about your experience of these issues.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Our Research and Influencing team would like to know: have you been affected by rising energy prices?

On 14th September my supplier Utility Point stopped trading and I was then moved to EDF on 18th September.

I have just received details of my EDF tariff:
Electricity unit rate: 20.14p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 24.39p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.043p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.12p per day

My Utility Point tariff was:
Electricity unit rate: 13.23p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 22.34p per day

Gas unit rate: 2.19p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 21.67p per day

Now for spreadsheet and see if price capping comes into play.

Last edited:

The Girl Nextdoor P

Jan 12, 2021
Norfolk
Hi everyone,

These are turbulent times for the energy sector, and households are experiencing rising prices and news of suppliers going out of business. The stark rise in prices can be seen on our energy bills.

There is extra financial support for fuel to vulnerable people, but others have told us how worried they are.

Your comments will count as primary evidence, so if our Research and Influencing team lobby the government, they can tell them about your experience of these issues.

The Girl Nextdoor P

Jan 12, 2021
Norfolk
Oil prices through the roof, nearly £380.00 for 6 ltrs. Tank needs filling at least twice a year, magnet seem alot but it is when you haven't got that kind of money!!!

SueBo

Apr 6, 2020
My husband has to have a light on all night in his bedroom, but gets out of bed after only an hour or two and starts to wander downstairs, switching lights and the electric fire on. Dreading the ending of our fixed tariff in February.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @SueBo
do contact your energy suppliers and let them know you have a vulnerable adult in the property, they may be able to help you, and will certainly give you priority if there is ever a power cut

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@SueBo
hi @SueBo
do contact your energy suppliers and let them know you have a vulnerable adult in the property, they may be able to help you, and will certainly give you priority if there is ever a power cut
For priority with supply problems you need to register with your network operator
e.g.
My electricity network operator

Suppliers, the people who bill you, may be able to help with financial problems.

Last edited:

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
My fixed rate ended just as the massive price hike hit so I ended up on another fixed rate deal which is £196 per month for dual fuel. Much more than I was paying previously. My husband has worsening dementia and extremely poor mobility so spends long periods sitting in a chair. He regularly complains of his legs feeling cold despite having heating on and sometimes the gas fire too. I'm dreading what the bills will be this winter. I am registered with my provider as having a vulnerable person in the household and this has been useful in the past when there have been outages both electricity and gas. I was not aware that there may be any help with costs but would be interested to know if this is likely.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My fixed rate ended just as the massive price hike hit so I ended up on another fixed rate deal which is £196 per month for dual fuel. Much more than I was paying previously. My husband has worsening dementia and extremely poor mobility so spends long periods sitting in a chair. He regularly complains of his legs feeling cold despite having heating on and sometimes the gas fire too. I'm dreading what the bills will be this winter. I am registered with my provider as having a vulnerable person in the household and this has been useful in the past when there have been outages both electricity and gas. I was not aware that there may be any help with costs but would be interested to know if this is likely.
because we get pension credit, we get warmer home allowance from the supplier[certain suppliers do it] and the gvt heating allowance because of the benefit. we live in a reema house which is pre-cast concrete so its very cold in the winter.