Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what inpact does it have on your children

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My daughter is doing a dissertation

She like to do research with younger children under the age of 18 who have a parent with dementia or care for someone with dementia and the person under 18

Of course she have to get the parents permission , as she would have to interview them . she needs 10 people . I could also ask our local AZ as I think they run a younger dementia group

I would like to start a poll of how many people have have children under 18 on TP , and they are the carer of a husband or wife Or Just under 18 and are caring for someone who has dementia .

Last edited:

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Hi Margarita,

My husband as AZ and our children are 9 and 7. Although they are aware their dad isn't well and find some of the things he does and his actions strange I do really try to keep everything as normal as possible. I'm also finding as this illness has been building up for so long, with them being so young, they have adjusted well. The older one is obvioulsy more affected that the younger one.

I think that your daughter would probably get more useful information from older children. If you/your daughter would like any further information please just ask.

Jackie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Margarita

firstly - well done for getting the poll sorted.

just to give a tip if you do another one some time - your first two questions are fine, someone can select one or other to indicate which applies to them, and they are mutually exclusive so you are potentially picking up two kinds of person.

The third question, "what inpact does it have on your children" is not something that can get a good response in a poll.

You could have phrased it in a couple or more questions: "does it have a very negative effect on your children" and "does it have no effect on your children" [or other options].

However, if someone says 'yes' to "what inpact does it have on your children", then it actually doesn't mean anything. :(

Please bear in mind one of the key things we try to ensure in Talking Point is that researchers do not regard the forum as a rich hunting ground for information from the members. For that, we point them to the Alzheimer's Society itself for information. So we have to be careful that we don't open the forum up to something we might regret later.

I suggest the best way forward is for anyone who might wish to help your daughter in her project to contact you by PM.

Should you or your daughter wish to use any replies, you should contact anyone who responds to this thread and gain their permission before any of the content is used in any way.

Your idea of contacting the local AS branch is a good one!

Sorry if the message above seems unhelpful, but I'm trying to keep the forum a safe place to post.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Any information that anyone replies back is not being used for any research. My daughter just wanted to know if there is anyone who may fit the specified poll. And only if the respondents want to take part in any further information being gathered, with their FULL consent-will any information be used as research.

I do understand your concerns , and thank you for your help in how I should of worded the poll ( I should of had my daughter next to me when I done it:rolleyes: she worded the above in this post 4 :) )

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
They may not be the children of the person with dementia, but children of other relations living in the same household would also be affected. (I'm remembering among others the neighbour whose auntie with dementia lived with the family for 23 years, had a huge impact on the 3 children, as their mother always put auntie first.)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I phone my local day-center and they say they do not run a group for younger people with dementia , they was one 2 years ago , but the social worker left and they did not replace her and it be very rear that she find someone that has children under 18 in are area ( hammersmith / fulham ) out of the 141 people she knows in are area , but the are under 61 so they children will be older .

(What I am finding out for myself is they really is a lack of services for younger people with dementia )

anyway
if they is other people in are area from the last 2 years with young children she does not know of them .

she said that she be better doing it with grandparents . as they children may be more willing to do it . ( shall tell my daughter about that later when she in )

Seem if I am reading the poll right they is 1-percent of people on TP with young children under 18 and they parents have dementia , I am surprised

I also phone the help line & they told me to come in hear Younger people with dementia) to see what services are availably and if anyone would want to take part .

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just read this
Researchers, students and professionals - please read

If a moderator could move this thread to the Researchers, students and professionals' section, for me please sorry , really sorry just notice the rule in the Younger people with dementia section .

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Margarita,

My children are 10 & 14 and we care for my husband (52). Feel free to PM for more details if we can help.

You are so right about the lack of support for young carers who have children. We live in another London Borough and I haven't come across anyone else in our situation. Just fitting in Peter's appointments around the children during school holidays is difficult - do I bring them (not very suitable) or leave them alone? Crossroads Carers won't come when the children are at home so I get no help with caring perhaps when I need it most. Babysitters are out of the question as they can't/won't deal with Peter as well. My time is constantly used up juggling increasing demands of my husband and the needs of my children. They are the ones to miss out - I can never make it to parent's assemblies, sports days etc.

I could go on at length, but as said before send me a PM for anything specific.

Good luck to your daughter.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thank-you for your help , you have highlighted really good issue

sure she know more about it then I , in what she needs

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
More on young carers

http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaigns/News/1178805136

Of course many wouldn't be identified as such, either by themselves or by others, it would just seem normal to help parents or grandparents (not wanting loved ones to be taken away, and not wanting to be put into care as they would be if there were no suitable adults around) and they may only be able to say much later at what point it became really too much.

http://www.nch.org.uk/information/index.php?i=245

You'd need parents'/guardians' consent to interview children, wouldn't you? and if the family were exploiting children they might not consent, or children might be afraid to tell the whole story until much later. (Using 'you' in the general sense, no-one in particular.)

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes lila
You'd need parents'/guardians' consent to interview children, wouldn't you

Also can't remember what it call , but you have to get a police check ( the person doing the interview and they have ID )

Thanks for those links .

if the family were exploiting children they might not consent, or children might be afraid to tell the whole story until much later.

Hopeful its not that drastic , that a child could not tell how they feel and hold it in till they older .

really the purpose of it all is to see what areas is lacking in servers for the children, carer / parent and that the LA can open up in help .

as like Westie says
j ust fitting in Peter's appointments around the children during school holidays is difficult - do I bring them (not very suitable) or leave them alone? Crossroads Carers won't come when the children are at home so I get no help with caring perhaps when I need it most. Babysitters are out of the question as they can't/won't deal with Peter as well

Last edited:

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I think it probably happens more than we realise at the time, the full impact is only seen much later.

Margarita said:
Hopeful its not that drastic , that a child could not tell how they feel and hold it in till they older .

Wits End

May 9, 2007
North Yorkshire
Hello Margarita,

My daughter is 17 (18 Nov) and we care for my husband who is 57, life is very difficult at times as I need to juggle my time between my husband and my daughter, consequently my daughter gets very frustrated and angry and spends as much time away from home as she possibly can and I dont blame her.

I will ask my daughter if she would be interested in taking part and let you know.

With regards :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976