young peoples awareness

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
hiya
im not sure if im posting this in the right place so apologies if it should be somewhere else! I just wondered wheter this website had a section for younger carers- or people who help their parents/grandparents etc care for their relatives or friends? im 15 and help my mum care for my uncle and i have seen a few posts from other people of a similar age or other people mention younger people in their posts maybe it would be somewhere for them to look at or come to for advice etc?
maybe we could add something somewhere- like a section that school teachers, parents and children could go on for advice and support but also to help raise money and awareness, maybe we could put ideas about school events from simple things such as cake sales which are easy to organise but would bring in lots of money if evryone took part.
Im happy to help in any way i can if anyone thinks this is possible or wants to try it out- if not though no problem i just thought it was worth a quick mention!

Lots of luv
Lauren x

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
young carers

Hi Lauren this is just a suggestion but have you approached your local young carers group?. If your local social services authority is any good they will provide with you details of the nearest to you. You could also try your local alzheimers support group. As far this website is concerned i would support your request for a childrens/young people section. Shauny.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello Lauren,
My grandaughter who is 14, when he Granfather was diagnoised aged 58 did a research paper at her School. Who knew or had heard about Alzheimers.
The survey that my Lauren did resulted in her giving a talk to the whole of her year. It resulted in a fund raising and they raised £100 and sent it to our Local Branch with an invite to the Branch Manager going into the School.
We have as a Branch been saying we need to do something for the younger generation.
From my own personal experience, I had teenagers coming up to me and saying if you would like to talk I am always here for you. These same teenagers had their own experience of A.D.
I think it is a very good idea and for Educational aspect in this illness as it is on the increase, having a life line for the younger generation.
I support what you are trying to do.
Best wishes.
Christine

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
Thank you for your support- i will look inot it further and see what happens!
thanks
lauren xx

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Hi Lauren,

Just wanted to say that the ideas you raised are really good.

In Scotland they recently launched school packs about dementia to try and help families and teachers. Hopefully they may make some difference.

There are clearly many children and young adults who take on a caring or supportive role and they also need to have someone to listen and answer their questions.

Take care,

EmJ :)

sandraj

Jan 9, 2008
dorset
Hi Lauren

I think it is really important to raise young peoples awareness of alzheimers. My husband is going to run the London Marathon for the 2nd time to raise money for the Society as my mother in law has Alzheimers. My 11 year old daughter decided that she wanted to raise money as well so asked her headteacher if he would be willing to have a non-uniform day during the week of the marathon. Unfortunately they have already have one for another cause. But the good news is my daughter's head of year spoke to her today and said that if she wants she will help her put together a power point presentation about Alzheimers and how it has affected not only her gran but the whole family and deliver it to her year group during assembly. she will also help her fund raise in another way (we need to come up with some ideas and i like the idea of the cake sale). I am really pleased the school have been so supportive not only will we have the chance to raise money but also raise awareness. The teacher has asked that we let her have as much info as we can about Alzheimers and also the marathon so i intend to speak to our local brance and the fundraising team at the Society HQ to see what info they can provide that would be particularly appropriate for young people.

Good luck with your ideas.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Fund Raising

Alzheimer's Society do loan out for £50 their Elephant Costume.
At our Local Branch we have used it on several occassions and had A.S. balloons.
It does stand out amongst people.
Good luck.
Christine

laura d

Jan 24, 2008
Suffolk, UK
young carers...

When my Dad was first diagnosed 2 years ago I was 16/17 and was told I was just to old to get help from the Young Carers branch but really not quite old enough for the Adult Carers. There needs to be some midway for those of us that are inbetween, just because we're not the 'norm' does it mean we should be ignored?
Sorry, it just bugs me because it's that extra support that perhaps we really need and cant get!

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Laura,
I agree with you entirely that there should be some support for the younger generation because you are experiencing this terrible illness and this is an area that should be dealt with.

At our Local A.S. Branch it is open to younger generation as well.

Through the younger generation as this illness is on the increase there should be more help and awareness available.

Perhaps, it is something that can be sent to Head Office ?

At least with modern technology, the younger generation are at an advantage as you are more conversant with computers.

I do hope that this is taken on board as a very important issue. Well done on voicing your thought and that you can have access to Talking Point.

Very best wishes. Christine

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
thank you for all your comments! :)
i will email the head office and maybe try to get some help/advice on setting something up. i totally agree that we need something for teenages who are at that kind of 14/15/16/17/18 ages as there is little support like this about! if you have any ideas do post them- anything helps!
thanks
xxxxlauren

laura d

Jan 24, 2008
Suffolk, UK
I think maybe it needs to go on for even longer than that, into the early 20s maybe? I'm coming up for 19 and as most adult carers seem to be a lot older than me I'd rather mix with people closer to my age group, we're more likely to be experiencing the same kind of things...school, friendships, having time for us, all that sort of thing!
Any help you need though I'm definately in, I think it's so important that we're not forgotten about! xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Lauren and Laura.

Why don`t you start your own Thread for Young People in the Tea Room.

Give it a Title and invite young people to share experiences and concerns.

Two TP members, Gigi and BeckyJan, wanted a Chat Room, not for anything in particular, but just for general chat. TP isn`t suitable for a chat room but they started a Thread in the Tea Room....`How has your day been?` and it is proving very popular.

If you need any advice, ask anyone, we will all support you.

Good luck.

Love xx

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
what a brilliant idea! sounds great to me- does anyone have a particualar starting topic or shall we just explain the thread and leave it to people to start a conversation?
xxxxxx:)

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Lauren,
If you start with your reasons and your situation, then people will contribute.
I wish you all the best in what you are aiming to do.
Very best wishes
Christine

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Lauren.
Start a new Thread, say what it`s for, who it`s for and why you want it. Invite people to post and Hey Presto! You are all set.
Good luck.
Love xx