Young onset dementia

lovetolaugh

Apr 5, 2015
Hi everyone, I have yet to go to the doctor as I am trying to keep a record for examples of the "forgetfulness". I am 42 and have felt that my memory has been deteriorating for about a year but there is not a lot of information online about the very early stages for youngish people.
An example of some of the things that I experience on a daily basis are mixing up words often. Like when talking about Easter dinner I call it Thanksgiving. Unable to finish sentences with the right words. I substitute and use descriptions.
I am often told by my family that I do things that I have no recollection of doing at all and would not do such as taking off my dogs collar and then looking all over the house for it with no recollection of taking it off in the first place. No reason to do it.
These things are beyond the normal misplacing in my opinion and nothing like this has happened to me in years past.
Is this something that others have experienced in the beginning?

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Hello lovetolaugh (I like the name). I do not have dementia but many times over the years I have forgotten items, done completely silly things, and many times during my business life started a sentence and then forgot what I was saying to a client. I used to try and camouflage it at first and then gave up and merely apologised saying, I've lost the thread. Talking to others about my forgetfulness it is surprising how many say, Oh, I have done that too. Try to just let these moments of forgetfulness pass as most people seem to experience them, often at times of stress or through pressures of some kind. If you remain concerned and there is no obvious cause such as stress, anxiety, etc., then do discuss your concerns with your GP. Best wishes.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
There are a lot of other causes for memory issues (e.g. vitamin deficiencies and thyroid problems) and you will have your mind put at rest if you chat to your gp.

There's a couple of factsheets that you might want to read:

Mild Cognitive Impairment
Am I at Risk of developing dementia

You can find these under Alzheimer's Society resources on the right of your screen.