Young onset dementia and bathroom accidents? Is this normal?

robinbird96

Jun 28, 2021
Hi all,

My mum is 56 and has been diagnosed with young dementia for 3 years now.

In terms of disease progression, she's a lot better than I would have expected her to be after 3 years. However, recently she has been having accidents (both ones and twos) on an almost daily basis and it's getting too much for my family to handle. There's small flecks of poo in the shower, in the bath, in the sink, everywhere you can think of it being. I know it could be way worse as she could be smearing it but it is still a hygiene issue. If she goes on a walk, there's a chance she'll relieve herself. I feel like it must be that her brain can't communicate that she needs the toilet anymore?

We're having to put her in the bath/shower at least twice a day and she's quite resistant to it which can also be hard.

However, these bathroom troubles don't seem to correlate with where she is in terms of the disease and I can't seem to find any info online about toilet accidents and young onset dementia... Does anyone have any advice? Or can anyone provide any clarity into what's going on?

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @robinbird96

I'm sorry to read about your mum's diagnosis. That must be hard for all of you. Others may be along with advice. I wonder if this link might be of any help or at least be of some comfort, as you will know you are not alone with the problem in the meantime:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome from me too @robinbird96

My wife was also early on-set and she had a couple of 'accidents' a few years ago. At the time it was pointed out to me that these things need not be a permanent progression as the 'stages' of dementia can be both fluid and to overlap. This did prove to be the case with my wife as she hasn't had any major issues in that regard for a couple of years now.

Something like alcohol consumption can case issues for my wife. Things like constipation(as suggested), or infections could also be issues so it's a good idea to check with the GP. The GP surgery may also have a continence service that you could use for help and advice.

I hope you get some resolution as I know from experience how difficult the is for both carer and the person with dementia. My wife reacted in a very agitated state because of her resulting stress and embarrassment.