Young onset Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia

Bunnyuat

Aug 8, 2022
Hi I’m a new member and was diagnosed with both Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia at the age of 51. It took over 4 years to get anyone to take me seriously and another few years before diagnosis.
In my local area there is no young onset provision no support networks or groups. I am trying to get a group going and asking your advice. Anything you think off that will help is greatly appreciated.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Bunnyuat

Sincere commiserations on your diagnosis at such a young age and well done for trying to be proactive.

Diagnosis for younger people is at least being taken seriously now, even though it`s still a struggle to be listened to and believed.

I am trying to get a group going and asking your advice

The only thing I can suggest is perhaps asking if you can display a notice on the boards in local GP surgeries and memory clinics.

Not only may it help bring younger people with dementia together but it might also alert GPs and memory clinic staff to the need for provision.

Kimmyriver1

Jun 2, 2023
Hi I’m a new member and was diagnosed with both Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia at the age of 51. It took over 4 years to get anyone to take me seriously and another few years before diagnosis.
In my local area there is no young onset provision no support networks or groups. I am trying to get a group going and asking your advice. Anything you think off that will help is greatly appreciated.
Would love to chat with you. I have vascular dementia

Alis 17

Jul 16, 2023

Alis 17

Jul 16, 2023
Hi I was diagnosed with vascular dementia, I was 54yrs. It was the same were I live . No help no support, I rang the mental health team and we now have 4 of us that meet up once a month.I am now 58yrs.

Shelleydvr

Jun 10, 2023
Same lack of support here... I also agree with a group where we can just share between ourselves....
I eventually joined a small group whatsapp of TBI sufferers, since some of the problems faced are the same.

Shelleydvr

Jun 10, 2023
Same lack of support here... I also agree with a group where we can just share between ourselves....
I eventually joined a small group whatsapp of TBI sufferers, since some of the problems faced are the same.
I'm now 58, was about 56 at diagnosis.... also ages to get there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa