Young mum with onset Alzheimer’s

Mary257

Dec 18, 2022
Hello, I know this thread is now a few months old but I stumbled across it and it was just what I came on here for.

Finding others that have been impacted by ‘young’ / early on set Alzheimer’s. my mum was 62 when she was diagnosed. 3 years on and I am still so angry about it and probably not accepting it.

I feel like all the support is targeted and older patients, I feel as though mum needs something different to those in their 70s and 80s . She has had her retirement ripped away from her, she used to look after my girls once a week which she adored and can clearly no longer do. She wanted to travel she wanted to get a small part time job she wanted to do so much!

Anyway, I guess my question for here is has anyone found any ‘young Alzheimer’s specific support’?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Mary257.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis. I;m not surprised you feel as you do. I wonder if you would find this link supportive -

Antonia86

Jun 22, 2023
Hello!

Thank you so much for your reply. It was really kind and lovely to read.

I have read that with early onset it seems to progress quicker and I've felt that is what's happening with mum. Do you mind me asking what sort of symptoms you're having with your dad now and how this had changed over the past three years?

Mum was originally diagnosed with anxiety a year ago, but we knew there was no way it could be that! Her symptoms were too severe. Although I know it will get so much worse yet. Even the last few weeks I've noticed her getting worse. It's like she can't remember most words in sentences and can't use phones etc now. Also getting names wrong - as in pronouncing them differently?

Already she feels like a different person, and it does scare me what we still have to come xx
Hi I hope you don’t mind me replying to this message.
My mum got diagnosed a couple of months ago! She’s 65 and we also feel like she has gone a lot worse recently!
She does know who we all are but socially she is very withdrawn and she is 100% not the same person at all.
She texts me and my family a lot but it often doesn’t make sense!
It’s so hard to get your head round that the dynamics are so different for our family now!
I hope you are doing ok ❤️

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Antonia86 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Sorry to hear about your mum but you'll find lots of friendly support here from people who understand. It looks like fayelouise03 hasn't visited here for a while, so they might not reply to your message, but there is always someone here to listen if you need to talk.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallySunnyside