You have to laugh through it all !!!!

Jamaicaj

Feb 4, 2015
Hi All I rarely post but learn so much from everyone here. I am not sure I am in the right forum as my Mother has not been diagnosed, tho I am sure she would be if she would only agree to go to the memory clinic.
I am the only daughter with 3 brothers! I have just received a late night message from one of them who was totally exasperated after spending the day putting up my Mothers Christmas decorations. Out of us all, he does the most for her and in return she gives him the hardest time! He endured a day of listening to her stories about how our other brother is having an affair with one of her neighbours and has been and "put HER decorations up" and he himself is best friends with the local villain, she refused to discard any of the broken tatty decorations from years gone by!
We have all learned to attempt to change the subject when she becomes nasty or accusational which is often so I listened with the usual acceptance when he recounted his day.
However, I suddenly found myself laughing to the point of hysteria when he told me that upon his arrival he had to "rescue her from her coat!"
She had split the zip from the bottom up and it was jammed up under her chin! She had managed to get her arms out and had been doing her housework wearing it like a cloak for 2 hours! He said "flipping heck I never expected to get there and find her dressed like Superman! " I know we shouldn't laugh but just this once I couldn't help but see the funny side!
I am sure we have plenty more challenging times ahead of us. :rolleyes:

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Laughing is sometimes the only thing to do. The way I persuaded my husband to go to the memory clinic was to say if it's not dementia that's fine, if it is then you will get the drug to try and slow it down. It may work . You will also get more support and if she doesn't have it for anything else mum should get attendance allowance.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
What is this with mothers and Superman impersonations - your mum and her cape; Pear Tree's mum and pants over trousers ????
Thanks for the giggle

What a lovely brother :)

Last edited:

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi All I rarely post but learn so much from everyone here. I am not sure I am in the right forum as my Mother has not been diagnosed, tho I am sure she would be if she would only agree to go to the memory clinic.
I am the only daughter with 3 brothers! I have just received a late night message from one of them who was totally exasperated after spending the day putting up my Mothers Christmas decorations. Out of us all, he does the most for her and in return she gives him the hardest time! He endured a day of listening to her stories about how our other brother is having an affair with one of her neighbours and has been and "put HER decorations up" and he himself is best friends with the local villain, she refused to discard any of the broken tatty decorations from years gone by!
We have all learned to attempt to change the subject when she becomes nasty or accusational which is often so I listened with the usual acceptance when he recounted his day.
However, I suddenly found myself laughing to the point of hysteria when he told me that upon his arrival he had to "rescue her from her coat!"
She had split the zip from the bottom up and it was jammed up under her chin! She had managed to get her arms out and had been doing her housework wearing it like a cloak for 2 hours! He said "flipping heck I never expected to get there and find her dressed like Superman! " I know we shouldn't laugh but just this once I couldn't help but see the funny side!
I am sure we have plenty more challenging times ahead of us. :rolleyes:

I know we shouldn't laugh but that's so funny!! I suppose it's a good job that we can laugh at times