You couldn't make it up!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hope your knees and hip are being kinder to you today Jinx. I think I would take the car if it was two miles away.
It sounds as though you live in a lovely area, and it's really good to have level places to take the wheelchair. trouble with Devon is, very little is flat!:D
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/

Which part of Devon are you in Es? I was brought up near Ivybridge, so love the South Hams and that part of the coast, Dartmouth round to Plymouth.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
It is possible to walk there from our house, Es, it 's probably less than two miles but I took the car to within about half a mile yesterday and walked up but my knees and right hip had a right moan last night. Not to mention the fact that I was fairly puffed by the time I got up there! I need to do more hill walking but OH can't walk any more than a few yards now so I usually end up walking on the flat pushing him in his wheelchair. Again we're lucky as we have the Brecon to Monmouth canal very close by which is ideal for the chair. Throughout 'The Valleys' old mine workings have been turned into country parks and these are usually quite accessible with smooth, level paths. This one is Parc Cwm Daran.
View attachment 47315

Looks gorgeous Jinx , you must be living in a lovely area :) xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
No Chuggs just an amateur, it was actually quite an overcast day as I remember but the light on the water was lovely.

You've captured it very well, Jinx. I'd be happy to pay for a copy of that. Needs putting up on a wall. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Looks gorgeous Jinx , you must be living in a lovely area :) xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Well the South Wales Valleys are very deprived and the bottoms of the valleys are very built up, all the housing built for coal miners and steel workers in the past and industry enticed in by Government grants after the coal mines closed. However, there has been a lot of European Prioriy 1 funding, some of which has been used to create these country parks where the coal workings were and it has been done very well with lakes and appropriate planting, nature has been allowed to reclaim the land which provides leisure facilities. We have moved to the eastern edge of the valleys but very close to Monmouthshire which is a beautiful county. We're very lucky. xxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Which part of Devon are you in Es? I was brought up near Ivybridge, so love the South Hams and that part of the coast, Dartmouth round to Plymouth.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point[/QUOTE]

Well - Ivybridge, Jinx!! I live in Plymouth. The South Hams is lovely, I lived in Brixton when I was a child, and worked in Kingsbridge for a while.
Actually many years ago I lived in Gilwern and Cardiff so knew the Valleys a bit. It was around the time Ebbw Vale was ceasing production. Sounds like it's all changed a lot now.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I went to school in Plymouth many moons ago, Es, Notre Dame High School in Crownhill. I think it's a comprehensive now. xx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Yes, it is a comprehensive now Jinx. Still has a reputation as a very good school though. I went to Public. Don't know if that was still open when you were at school.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
No, not heard of that Es but then I moved away from that area in 1970. We lived in Somerset and East Devon for many years so was able to visit all my favourite places regularly. Pembrokeshire reminds me very much of Devon/Cornwall but without the Grockles or Emmits!!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi jinx, do you know Crownhill is now known as Derriford? I have friends who live there. Hospital takes over!! Was Crownhill for years and years before hospital arrived!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hi jinx, do you know Crownhill is now known as Derriford? I have friends who live there. Hospital takes over!! Was Crownhill for years and years before hospital arrived!

No Spamar, I remember Derriford hospital but didn't know the whole area name had changed. Can't stop 'progress'!!!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Not much progress with the garden today, the guys delivered stacks of concrete blocks ready for the retaining walls but then disappeared again even though the rain had stopped. I hope this doesn't drag on too long I'm very impatient!!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I can imagine, I would be too. Maybe it was a bit too muddy for them to work. Hope it's a dry weekend and they can get on next week.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I can normally distract OH from wanting his father and mother by telling him that they live in London. Tonight when I tried that the reply was "I came here with my Dad earlier today". I said well I think he's had to go back to London 'cos that's where he lives, and OH said "don't be silly they've moved to New Inn", which is where we live now. Apparently they've bought a house just down the road! Will have to start thinking of new distractions for that one.

We went out on one of our magical mystery tours this afternoon, where OH is absolutely convinced he knows exactly where we are and gives me directions. It makes for some quite interesting trips and we've found new pubs and road links I didn't know about. I always have sat nav handy just in case. We evidently had to get to a wedding this afternoon, not sure whose but we eventually came across a church but unfortunately the wedding had finished! Then we were off again on another wild goose chase to find the reception so we could get a cup of tea, I was certainly ready for a cuppa by the time we got home. Daughter and granddaughters came then and we did birthday cake for him, by which time he'd forgotten the wedding thank goodness.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Happy birthday to Bernard, Jinx. Just got in in time.
Well done for navigating the Mystery tour and birthday celebrations. Sounds like it was all well done.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Has anyone else had experience of a short course of steroids causing hallucinations, even more strange behaviour and agitation? OH has just started a new course as his chest is very congested. He's often had them before but for the past couple of days he's been very wound up, not like him normally, and while I was out last evening, the carer told me he didn't sit still at all, paced around, going into drawers and cupboards, lay on the dining table as he thought it was his bed. Apparently got quite 'assertive' with the carer. The carer had managed to get him to bed and he was asleep by the time I got back at 9.45, but he's been up and down all night telling me things he thinks his Mother has said.

I can't remember him being this bad when he's had steroids before. They always give him more energy and perk him up but not to this extent. Feeling very tired!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
He hasnt got an actual chest infection has he jinx?
Infections play havoc on mums dementia symptoms.
Id get his GP to check him out - antibiotics might be the answer

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
He hasnt got an actual chest infection has he jinx?
Infections play havoc on mums dementia symptoms.
Id get his GP to check him out - antibiotics might be the answer

He's literally just finished a course of ABs I don't think he's got an infection but will have to get him checked if this goes on. Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
He's literally just finished a course of ABs I don't think he's got an infection but will have to get him checked if this goes on. Thank you.

Sometimes the ABs dont clear the infection so it comes back and you have to try a different one

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
New patio finished, still waiting for railings as unsafe for OH to be out there on his own, also need to work out some sort of secure , remote entry system for the gate, but I'm so pleased with it, no more slippery decking when it rains. Needs lots of plants to soften it a bit. ImageUploadedByTalking Point1442646398.900553.jpg

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
New patio finished, still waiting for railings as unsafe for OH to be out there on his own, also need to work out some sort of secure , remote entry system for the gate, but I'm so pleased with it, no more slippery decking when it rains. Needs lots of plants to soften it a bit.View attachment 47973