You couldn't make it up!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hi Chuggs, problem is working full time from home, we will pop out at lunch times and in the evenings probably if the weather would cheer up a bit. Actually got my 'black sheep' step son coming this evening as he needs to borrow some money! I don't think his Dad knows who he is any more as we had a gap of 15 years or so when he disappeared from our lives during which time dementia crept in. He's trying to make amends now but sadly it's too late for Bernard. Last time he came Bernard asked why that man kept calling him Dad......

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Really feel for you Jinx. Didn't realise things were that bad for you. Also sad that your hubby doesn't know his son, now. Left me rather speechless, this has :(

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Not that bad really, I'm incredibly lucky to have both daughters close by and very supportive. We are where we are and I must make the most of it while I still have OH at home, believe me I don't have even a twelfth of the problems you do.....I know: it's not a competition!!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Not that bad really, I'm incredibly lucky to have both daughters close by and very supportive. We are where we are and I must make the most of it while I still have OH at home, believe me I don't have even a twelfth of the problems you do.....I know: it's not a competition!!

So much has changed now he's being cared for. I'm no longer manic and angry all the time. I used to be dreadful. Things here are slowly but surely sorting themselves out. I've been blown away at the caring officials who I've met. Seriously, Jinx. It's been an eye-opener. More of that to come yet, but I don't fear it, now. Just get everything tidied away so I know where I am, and life can go on, on a much better level. Only anuvver six months to wait for that to happen :D Might not be that long, aye :)

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Cloudy here today but yesterday was beautiful so took OH out and asked if he'd like to go to coast or country. "Coast" he said so we duly drove to the seaside. We'd reached a fairly remote stretch of coast road, nevertheless heavily populated with sun seekers when OH uttered those immortal words 'I need a poo'. Fortunately I remembered a beach with a small shop and toilets. Persuaded the car park attendant that we weren't staying so he didn't charge us £3.00 and managed to get OH to the Gents in time. Had to enlist help as he couldn't see or find the cubicle and it was very busy so I couldn't really go in. Hovered around the doorway and eventually himself emerged. By the time we'd got back to the car he was exhausted and wanted to go straight home! I was looking forward to a peaceful evening but sundowning put paid to that. OH was up and down, jacket on, cap on, trying all the doors and constantly asking if I was ready and were we going. Isn't this all such fun.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Spent the morning moving my 'garden in pots' as work due to start this week to remove the dodgy decking and replace it with paving slabs plus proper ramped access for OH. Once that's done I can think about creating my small garden. 8 tons of top soil due to be delivered tomorrow pm so it can be tipped before walls are built. Excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Well done for negotiating the poo incident Jinx. Must admit it's the bit of the day I dread most, especially as OH has so many difficulties with mobility.
I am excited for you about your garden - 8 TONS of topsoil to play with:):):)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I can't quite imagine what 8 tons looks like, and hope my dau and I did our maths right when we worked it out!!! I have an image of the delivery driver clutching his sides in mirth and saying 'you think that lot is going to fit in there, you're having a larf!!!'

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
8 tons?? :eek:

I'm assuming you have a large garden... It's either that or you are building your own mountain :D

Hard work shifting 3 tons.... I did that once.... Never again....

8 tons??? Wow you will have muscles where you never thought you could have them :D

It will look wonderful when it's finished, I'm sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Now your scaring me 2jays! We've taken out about 2ft of clay and need to build up the levels, it's not a big garden at all it's all about depth. That never-re-assuring phrase 'it'll be fine' comes to mind.....!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Cloudy here today but yesterday was beautiful so took OH out and asked if he'd like to go to coast or country. "Coast" he said so we duly drove to the seaside. We'd reached a fairly remote stretch of coast road, nevertheless heavily populated with sun seekers when OH uttered those immortal words 'I need a poo'. Fortunately I remembered a beach with a small shop and toilets. Persuaded the car park attendant that we weren't staying so he didn't charge us £3.00 and managed to get OH to the Gents in time. Had to enlist help as he couldn't see or find the cubicle and it was very busy so I couldn't really go in. Hovered around the doorway and eventually himself emerged. By the time we'd got back to the car he was exhausted and wanted to go straight home! I was looking forward to a peaceful evening but sundowning put paid to that. OH was up and down, jacket on, cap on, trying all the doors and constantly asking if I was ready and were we going. Isn't this all such fun.

From reading this; maybe it was a good thing hubby never wanted to come out on trips with me. The times I did take him anywhere, there was only one time when he was upset, as he couldn't connect with where he was. Most confusing for him. Can't have been nice at all. I kept trying to imagine what it must have felt like, Jinx. I just couldn't. Frightening, I'd imagine.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
When I take Bernard out he often thinks we are in London where he grew up and will start giving me directions as to which turnings I should take and then gets agitated when I go a different (correct) way. He does the same with his Shared Lives carers who take him out, and when he gets back he tells me how stupid they are and they don't listen to him! As you say Chuggs it must be horrible not to understand or know where you are. He never recognises our house either and I guess as we have only been here 7 months he will probably never know that it's 'home'. I can't dwell on it too long as it's so sad to see him as he is compared to how he was, but then we all feel like that on here don't we?

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I can't quite imagine what 8 tons looks like, and hope my dau and I did our maths right when we worked it out!!! I have an image of the delivery driver clutching his sides in mirth and saying 'you think that lot is going to fit in there, you're having a larf!!!'

Looks like that, and doesn't appear as if it's much too much but we'll only know when we start spreading and that won't be for a few weeks yet.

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1439222305.675644.jpg

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Looks like that, and doesn't appear as if it's much too much but we'll only know when we start spreading and that won't be for a few weeks yet.

We had 4 of those bags and could do with another 4, have fun moving it.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I was due to go out for the day with my ladies group, but poor hubby had a violent bout of sickness during the night so I couldn't let him go to day care. I had arranged for a carer to sit until he would have been picked up so as I'd taken a day off work and as OH had made a remarkable recovery I made the most of the couple of hours and caught up with various errands.

Later took him out for a drive and he managed to eat a fairly large ice cream. Then I had another couple of hours at the end of the afternoon while a carer was with hubby and I was able to walk to a local landmark and enjoy the beautiful country spread out around me.ImageUploadedByTalking Point1439328950.802269.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalking Point1439328979.948188.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalking Point1439329016.272576.jpg

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Lovely photos Jinx, can you walk there from your house?
Glad your hubby got over his sickness.
Your garden is going to be lovely with all that wonderful topsoil. I'm sure you always needd more than you think you will and it will settle.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
It is possible to walk there from our house, Es, it 's probably less than two miles but I took the car to within about half a mile yesterday and walked up but my knees and right hip had a right moan last night. Not to mention the fact that I was fairly puffed by the time I got up there! I need to do more hill walking but OH can't walk any more than a few yards now so I usually end up walking on the flat pushing him in his wheelchair. Again we're lucky as we have the Brecon to Monmouth canal very close by which is ideal for the chair. Throughout 'The Valleys' old mine workings have been turned into country parks and these are usually quite accessible with smooth, level paths. This one is Parc Cwm Daran.
ImageUploadedByTalking Point1439364287.241588.jpg

Last edited:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
It is possible to walk there from our house, Es, it 's probably less than two miles but I took the car to within about half a mile yesterday and walked up but my knees and right hip had a right moan last night. Not to mention the fact that I was fairly puffed by the time I got up there! I need to do more hill walking but OH can't walk any more than a few yards now so I usually end up walking on the flat pushing him in his wheelchair. Again we're lucky as we have the Brecon to Monmouth canal very close by which is ideal for the chair. Throughout 'The Valleys' old mine workings have been turned into country parks and these are usually quite accessible with smooth, level paths. This one is Parc Cwm Daran.
View attachment 47315

Oh, what a gorgeous picture. Looks like it was taken through a filter. Are you a pro photographer, Jinx? Really impressed with this :)

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope your knees and hip are being kinder to you today Jinx. I think I would take the car if it was two miles away.
It sounds as though you live in a lovely area, and it's really good to have level places to take the wheelchair. trouble with Devon is, very little is flat!:D
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Oh, what a gorgeous picture. Looks like it was taken through a filter. Are you a pro photographer, Jinx? Really impressed with this :)

No Chuggs just an amateur, it was actually quite an overcast day as I remember but the light on the water was lovely.