You couldn't make it up!

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Oh jinx such difficult times for you and Bernhard . May I also wish you strength . Thinking of you, big hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
We've been told today that the hospital think Bernard can be moved either to our local 'cottage' hospital or possibly back to the care home provided they can provide sufficient nursing care. A bit of a bomb shell as they were saying a few days ago it was unlikely he would leave and they would care for him till the end. They say he is well hydrated..... yes because he's on a drip at the moment! What happens when he doesn't have that any more and is refusing thickened drinks because he doesn't like them. We'll be back to urine infections in no time I'm sure. And then there's the grade IV bed sore that needs regular dressing. I suppose district nurses would deal with that. Bless him he doesn't deserve any more upheaval but I expect they need the bed.....

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
We've been told today that the hospital think Bernard can be moved either to our local 'cottage' hospital or possibly back to the care home provided they can provide sufficient nursing care. A bit of a bomb shell as they were saying a few days ago it was unlikely he would leave and they would care for him till the end. They say he is well hydrated..... yes because he's on a drip at the moment! What happens when he doesn't have that any more and is refusing thickened drinks because he doesn't like them. We'll be back to urine infections in no time I'm sure. And then there's the grade IV bed sore that needs regular dressing. I suppose district nurses would deal with that. Bless him he doesn't deserve any more upheaval but I expect they need the bed.....

Jinx sorry you are going through such a horrible time I really feel for you and Bernard so much worry for you I hope Bernard manages to drink and keep.hydrated sending you a hug xxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

Oh dear Jinx. I probably mentioned it before, and don't want to worry you, but Christl was sent home with a UTi about 3 years ago, amid assurances she would be ok at home only to be readmitted 6 hours later.
If you have the energy after all that's happened you should definitely question this decision and make sure the care plans are securely in place before agreeing to anything.
All my very best wishes and support to you both. Rob

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thanks Rob, I know what you're saying. Bernard has had constantly recurring UTIs for months now and I'm sure it will happen again. I will be there to fight his corner at the assessment meeting but I expect if the pressure for his bed is strong enough they will push through whatever decision frees up the bed quickest and that's likely to be the care home, unless they say they can't cope.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thanks Rob, I know what you're saying. Bernard has had constantly recurring UTIs for months now and I'm sure it will happen again. I will be there to fight his corner at the assessment meeting but I expect if the pressure for his bed is strong enough they will push through whatever decision frees up the bed quickest and that's likely to be the care home, unless they say they can't cope.

Oh Jinx, all so hard having to fight all the time . Thinking of you both . Sending big hugs xxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Only just catching up Jinx, because we've changed our internet provider so have been offline for a couple of days. I do hope the best solution is being found for Bernard. The cottage hospital may be a smaller and friendlier alternative while still being able to provide the level of care he needs.
Thinking of you both and sending love and a big hug.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Bernard had to have his first injection of Diamorphine yesterday as he is now unable to swallow liquid paracetamol and there are no veins strong enough for a cannula so he can't have IV paracetamol either. It's a big jump but the pain and discomfort from the bed sore must be controlled. He went straight to sleep after the injection for a couple of hours but was very restless again when he woke up. I feel so useless I can't even give him drinks now as he can't swallow. He is still on a subcutaneous drip so he is hydrated, but It's a cruel and undignified end to life, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Thank you all for your support as always

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Bernard had to have his first injection of Diamorphine yesterday as he is now unable to swallow liquid paracetamol and there are no veins strong enough for a cannula so he can't have IV paracetamol either. It's a big jump but the pain and discomfort from the bed sore must be controlled. He went straight to sleep after the injection for a couple of hours but was very restless again when he woke up. I feel so useless I can't even give him drinks now as he can't swallow. He is still on a subcutaneous drip so he is hydrated, but It's a cruel and undignified end to life, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Jinx I sympathise every step of the way. Yes it is a horrible way to end a life. But in a way it's worse for you to have to watch completely helpless to do anything. I wish Bernard a peaceful end to his pain and you all the strength and support you need xxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Jinx I sympathise every step of the way. Yes it is a horrible way to end a life. But in a way it's worse for you to have to watch completely helpless to do anything. I wish Bernard a peaceful end to his pain and you all the strength and support you need xxx

bemused puts it better than I can. Still here and thinking of you both Jinx.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

I know it is of little comfort at this awful time, but you can feel proud that you have supported your beloved Bernard every step of the way, on this dreadful journey.

And nobody can ask more than that. I told myself that John was unaware of how things were, and was spared the reality that we, as spouses, witness. Have courage dear Jinx. We are all with you, and thinking of both you and Bernard xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Echoing what others have said, Jinx. We can do nothing to help, but know that we are all here in TP land, thinking of you and Bernard, and wishing you peace. xxx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Jinx. You couldn't make it up.

Echoing what others have said, Jinx. We can do nothing to help, but know that we are all here in TP land, thinking of you and Bernard, and wishing you peace. xxx

My thoughts and love are with you.xxxxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56