yet another constipation question

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Ongoing problem - oh has been having lactulose for some time now. It seemed to stop working for a while so I spoke to the gp who very helpfully said speak to the district nurses they're the experts.

So spoke to the dn who came and visited and she said give him movicol and lactulose (??) as well. Since the lactulose was again working I didn't give him the movicol.

So 2am this morning pooh in a trail again but not the main problem. For a couple of hours he had lower abdomen pain of the ' my stomach's killing me ' kind. he slept a bit more and then complained of gut ache this morning.

So my lovely friends while I wait for the gp to call, has anyone experienced this? I don't know whether to give him lactulose, movicol or nothing. Just spoken to dn and she said, you need to speak to gp. we seem to be going around in a circles here and I'm sure some helpful person will have experienced this and be able to share. But I am concerned about the abdominal pain and I'm tired of being treated like a worrywort. It seems the effect of constipation on dementia is not known by the medical profession

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I wouldn't give him any more laxatives until you've spoken to the GP. When my Mum had this problem the doctor came out and examined her to make sure she was OK. I think your doctor should do the same - tell them how concerned you are about the pain he is experiencing. Hope you get this resolved soon.

By the way, you say he went this morning (pooh in a trail) so hopefully it's nothing serious.

PS I give my Mum 2 senna tablets and 10 ml lactulose every night (it's what they gave her when she went into hospital once and I've carried on with it). Saying that, she's been two days without going now and when she does go it's usually hard stools. But she does have a lot of painkillers so has a tendency to make her constipated. You can give lactulose morning and evening if it doesn't work, as a first measure.

Last edited:

KentJude

Jul 2, 2012
Maidstone
Suppositories?

I agree the health professionals aren't full of advice or help on the subject of dementia and constipation.

The runny leakage could indicate some fecal impaction. The looser poo can make its way past the hard mass.

I've found that as well as e.g. lactulose I have to administer a suppository in more extreme instances. A laxative helps the 'top end' of a dried out stool in the bowel, but if there's a hard mass lower down only a suppository will help my mother. Yes I don gloves and sometimes have to hold it in place, with mum lying on her side, for up to 10 mins cos it keeps popping out! Oh the glamour! It does work though, either quickly or within a few hours.

Last edited:

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks all. Kentjude you are so right about the glamour!! I am still waiting for the gp to phone back. When I phoned I asked for anyone available because his own gp has done this to me before- kept me waiting until it suits her- on one occasion it was 6pm so I was stuck waiting all day.

Ok when she replies at least I can pin her down and say --what about so and so.???
Poor husband is being the victim of his own thought processes, it seems being a drinker and refusing to toe the party line is beyond the pale. The unfortunate thing is apart from gut ache, unpleasant though it is the stress is all mine.And being made to feel I am ust being a nuisance is really not at all helpful.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Don't let them make you feel a nuisance because you're not your a very caring and concerned carer. I agree with Nita GP needs to find out what's causing the abdo pain. Does a warm cushion help the abdo pain? Hope you get good response from GP and it is resolved and your husband's pain goes.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Don't let them make you feel a nuisance because you're not your a very caring and concerned carer. I agree with Nita GP needs to find out what's causing the abdo pain. Does a warm cushion help the abdo pain? Hope you get good response from GP and it is resolved and your husband's pain goes.

Sue how good to hear from you, I wondered how you were but I guessed you'd be back.Have spoken to the gp this afternoon and her comment is it's difficult if he refuses to go for tests etc. Can't recommend what to give him and says she will ' speak to the dn again' So the circle is complete and I still don't know what to do for the best. For today I will not give him anything and then if he is ok tomorrow I'll start maybe with the movicol (if I can get him to take it) and see what we can do.Keep a record of doses and effects and work it out for ourselves because obviously the medical profession are quite happy to say its his own fault and cover their own backs.

The problem is I can't bear to see him in even more pain so my stress levels rise.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Sue how good to hear from you, I wondered how you were but I guessed you'd be back.Have spoken to the gp this afternoon and her comment is it's difficult if he refuses to go for tests etc. Can't recommend what to give him and says she will ' speak to the dn again' So the circle is complete and I still don't know what to do for the best. For today I will not give him anything and then if he is ok tomorrow I'll start maybe with the movicol (if I can get him to take it) and see what we can do.Keep a record of doses and effects and work it out for ourselves because obviously the medical profession are quite happy to say its his own fault and cover their own backs.

The problem is I can't bear to see him in even more pain so my stress levels rise.

Good to see you online too but sorry similar problems persist. I think it's a cop out she should come and see him, she doesn't know until she examines him and says what she thinks it could be and why he may need some tests if he would go or not. Sometimes, even those with dementia know that something is wrong and may agree to a test but he can't refuse it if he's not given the chance. Of course for you it's horrible to see him in pain. I would speak to the DN and say the GP is not being supportive, I think its negelectful, and would she support you in insisting the GP comes.

Any creature, human or animal is thankful when someone is able to relieve some of their pain to not try by making some poor excuse is not on. Keeping your own records is good but I would be inclined also to send a copy of the records to the GP including symptoms and how long they last etc. Sometimes they respond better when things are in writing, shouldn't need to but seems you do. Hope something is resolved soon for you both.