1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

YES!!!! Mum had a bath!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Chook, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Chook

Chook Registered User

Jun 14, 2013
    Westcountry
    I don't think I could post this anywhere else and have people understand.

Mum's not had a bath for weeks and was really honking. The care home had said they'd tried everything.

After what felt like an hour I finally conned her into just putting her feet in with her top still on and then quickly lowered the chair. She soon took her top off when it started getting wet, although I was quite happy for her to leave it on to be honest.

She thoroughly enjoyed it and even told her bunny that he should have a bath because it was quite nice really!

I feel like I've achieved the impossible! I gave mum a bath!!!

Phew

2. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    I understand, well done, you should be proud of handling it so well xx

3. Mrsbusy

Mrsbusy Registered User

Aug 15, 2015
    Well done you! My mum was the same, I think she forgot what the word bath meant to be honest.

Watch out bunny!

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Chook, you have achieved the impossible, well done. fingers crossed the care home took note on how you did it.

5. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    Hallelujah! Well done indeed - do reward yourself with chocolate or whatever else you fancy!

6. Pear trees

Pear trees Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    Well done, we all understand how you feel!

7. beverrino

beverrino Registered User

Jan 12, 2015
    oh what an achievement! that was so well handled

8. loveahug

loveahug Registered User

Nov 28, 2012
    Moved to Leicester
    wow, I am sooo impressed, that's brilliant!!!

9. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Congratulations xx :)

10. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Chook-we understand because we KNOW that is a real achievement. Well done indeed

Love

Lyn T XX

11. Maldives13

Maldives13 Registered User

Feb 4, 2014
    Very well done. Think I'm going to have a similar issue! Care home are saying Mum won't have shower. I'm going to offer my services next week to see if that will make them try a bit harder!! I think it's down to being short staffed and not having same ones give her a shower. Well done - you have given me hope x

12. Essie

Essie Registered User

Feb 11, 2015
    Well done Chook!! And yes, we do all understand - do enjoy all those lovely feelings - happiness, relief, achievement -you've earned it! :D

13. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    Mum's taxi will be there in ten minutes, please work your magic!

Cheers! :D

14. Redpoppy

Redpoppy Registered User

Jul 31, 2012
    Glamorgan s.wales
    I can use persuasion to get my husband to have a shower( but only twice a week) but he always looks and smells clean. However we have numerous confrontations before I can have him agree to a haircut! I tried cutting his hair myself but made such a mess of It he HAD to be taken to the barber to sort it out.

15. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Well done Chook, you handled that beautifully! :)

16. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
  17. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    Well done. Feels good doesn't it. My mum's care home have got my mum to shower every day now. This is a major achievement as she wouldnt shower at all a few months ago. So much nicer when there are no nasty whiffs about!

18. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Great work. I had a little chuckle when I read your title. I could relate so well - Mum went through a couple of long and aromatic phases.

19. Chook

Chook Registered User

Jun 14, 2013
    Westcountry

Top tip, wear cool clothes :-D I was wearing a jumper and nearly melted!

It's very hard, the carers don't have time to spend patiently waiting like I did today. I think the instructions were too complicated too. Mum didn't understand get in the bath but when I said put your feet in that seemed like an easier thing to comprehend. If you imagine what getting in the bath entails, it's actually quite a complicated set of actions.

Good luck!

Chook x

20. Chook

Chook Registered User

Jun 14, 2013
    Westcountry
    Thank you all for your replies. I rewarded myself with a nice bar of choc and a glass of....... milk, ha ha!

I'm sorry for you who struggle with this too. I was nearly in tears when mum just kept refusing. It's just so frustrating and heartbreaking.

Good luck everyone x x