Xmas Stress

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I for one am absolutely dreading Xmas. It's nothing to do with Mum's alzheimer's, it's the fact that I will have a house guest and will have to feed everyone Xmas day and boxing day. I have been stressing so much trying to do the extra shopping and cleaning that I am light headed all the time. I wish the Xmas lark was over and to be honest, I'm very suprised my family are continuing to come, expecting to be catered for. Does the word carer translate as "Dogsbody" to others and I am simply unaware of it? Do they really thing we carers never ever need a break and we must instinctively love cleaning up and cooking for everyone?

I feel like I am going to crack. Is anyone else feeling like this with Xmas looming or am I the only big eejit playing Cinderella again this year?

Seasons Greetings (Bah Humbug!)

Last edited:
C

Chesca

Dear Cinderella

Welcome back you big eejit!

Why are you so surprised? It's what the blighters always do to you - mine are the same with their 'would love to help but we have been busy busy busy being busy all year and the you know how it ises'. Actually, yes I do thank you. They are just selfish.

If the guests aren't prepared to muck in voluntarily hand them an implement as they walk through the door or tell them to do one. I know, it's a pain. I've managed to jettison one of my relatives this year - unkind, I know - but this year if I had really had to suffer his ignorance, selfishness and total egoism, I think I would have ended up sharing supper at the Bridewell! I want some peace with the people I love without the compromise this year. And I'm having it.

Speak to you later, just going to wait on!

Lots of love
The Ugly Sister

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Magic

How nice to hear from you.

Do what I have done tell everyone "I just can't cope with people staying, have too much work with Margaret."

If they don't like it tough. "Nobody says "Oh well come and stay with us."

If it is too late this year, do as Chesca recommends and give them a task as they walk through the door. And don't soften, if the task doesn't get done, leave it undone.

Having said all that I hope you have the best Christmas possible under the circumstances.

Cheers Barraf

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi all. Now you know why I have decided to stay at home, just Lionel & myself. I cannot be doing with all the extra work.

We shall see the family after Boxing day, when things are back to normal, and everyone mucks in.

Can't blame the family, I elected to do everything at Christmas, especially after my husband died, tried to be 'supermum' and keep everything the same.

Lionel having this awful illness has complicated things, but at heart, my kids still think of me as 'supermum'.

Just off to open another bottle of bubbly.....I'm not driving anywhere, I only have to hold Lionels hand till it is till to get him ready for bed. Love to all, Connie

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I can't complain this time.
Christmas day we go to the local son for Christmas dinner.
Boxing day the Harpenden son is coming,wife and three grand daughters.
My daughter in law has deciided she likes me and is bringing all the food etc etc.Why wern't these people like this years ago,could it be consicence?
Peg will enjoy it at the time and she is all that matters.
AD makes you bitter doesn't it?
See you all tomorrow night Chesca bring some nautical stuff

Norman

C

Chesca

Norm, your daughter in law has mellowed because she has come to realise, as we all do given time, that when the effluent hits family sits - together. And why wouldn't she like you, the silly old fool? There's no accounting for taste! Speaking of which, grit your teeth to choke the bitter that we all know. Stick it in a pink gin! The children will be wonderful company for Peg - Mum has children running into her outstretched arms in the nursing home, and these are the nursing home staff's children. She barely knows me, if at all!

Now speaking of nautical, I assume you're speaking of copious amounts of the Grog. It's been specially shipped and 98% proof. You're going home on the cart, it's been arranged.

Love
Chesca
X

C

Chesca

Connie! You're still supermum, they're just giving you the day off for once. Cheers to you both, I'm on the bubbly - Prosecco not that old French muck! So Cheers to you and Lionel. Hope you're cosy!

Best wishes
Chesca
x

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hey Magic! Lovely to hear from you. Yes Christmas is a pain in the posterior when it just makes more to do isn't it. Still, hope you can spare a few minutes to join us around the witching hour, all the best to you and yours, love She. XX

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Magic

we've missed your posts.

Do have a lovely Christmas - why not try the cowboy's Christmas Menu? Baked beans. Less work unless they stick to the pan, though you may need to take a long walk outside afterwards - tell your guests that it is part of your fitness regime. They might all be unconscious on your return, and the house may need some windows opening.

Best wishes.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Brucie my secret weapon is the brussell sprouts. There will be some damage done to the ozone layer over this house. I have acquired several kilos thanks to getting a delivery off the net from a certain supermarket.

By 6 o'clock we should all be dropping bombs and singing songs. Mum's oxygen should come in handy. I feel the fighting spirit return.

Onwards into battle troops.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
just watch out for any naked lights. While we'd all like to see you over here, we'd prefer you came via an airport or seaport.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
It's been a long time since I've had fireworks in my life, if it has to be achieved through copious amounts of sprouts, then so be it.

Best wishes to all this Xmas from Big Brussell Sprout Bertha or as I'm known at home "Semtex Sadie"

C

Chesca

All that fun from a Brussels sprout? To think it's been maligned for years!

Chesca

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Did anyone see the film "Blazing Saddles" BEANS wow
Norman
"Private Function"another I nearly forgot that one.
The classic line "more sprouts doctor"
Norman

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I was whistling the great escape tune in my head after dinner when my aunt started parping!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi, well it's over! My aunt also parped if I am on the same wave length as you Magic! although, now being well imbibed continually to get through, this may well in my case be cloud cuckoo land. Took her home this after. We fitted long over due safety chain, re connected curtains, fixed (temporarily) the non flushing loo, left her with enough bread etc to do three days, (I will ring her in two!!)) Went home, and sadly, imbibed some more. Just surfaced from tomb raiders. Andy's Mum had a fall, day before Crimble, for the most part due to the fact she can't relate to the age she is if you know what I mean. She is OK but bruised and shaken so we had a heavy Christmas making sure nothing upset her etc. I do hope all was OK in your worlds for the festive season. Hectic here, and now worrying about family friends in Thailand, Maldives and of course Jude in Bali. Hope to hear from them all soon. Love to you all, She. XX

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Hi She. Xmas sounds a stress for you too, I'm just glad it's all over, it basically was horrible, the house guest moaned and groaned and told tales of death and disease, it was like having the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse rolled into one sitting at the table. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Mum is now down with another chest infection and I have honestly never been so tired in all my life. Having someone in the house to stay seemed to really throw her out of kilter.

I hope Jude is ok, I was wondering about her too when I saw the news.

Last edited:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Yes Magic, your so right, it does throw them, anything not usual routine and off we go! I am sorry you are so tired, when does your Mum go back to having daycare? When she does, put your feet up for the day's duration till her return, that's what I did first day back last year, had to, or I would have just keeled over, you sound about the same now yourself. It's a funny thing, but because you are the host, your supposed to be unstoppable and tireless, how does that idea come about I want to know? Is your Mum too poorly for day care? If she is, can Crossroads or similar give you a break to just chill out for a bit? These chest infections are a nightmare, no sooner do you get them over one than someone sneezes or coughs near them somewhere and off you go again. No word as yet from Jude far as I know, do hope she is OK. Lotsaluv, She. XX