Xmas presents?

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Mum is in a care home and has advanced dementia. Everything goes in her mouth. She chokes on her food so has to have it mushed up. Despite all this I would love to think of something to give her for Xmas. She has no need of more clothes or toiletries either. Any bright ideas anyone - or should I just admit defeat!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Ive got two lovely red and white throws bought at the last two Christmases in M&S. They are easily washable, soft, warm and cheerful. My husband likes one wrapped round his legs when he's in his armchair.

My grandson aged 11 wraps himself up in them too when he's here. I've been tempted to give him one of them as he likes them so much but then it wouldn't be here for him next time he visits.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Thanks both but she already has several throws! I just can't seem to think of anything - bearing in mind that her eyesight is poor also.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
When my mother was in late stages and didn't need any clothes, etc., I just used to get some soft fruit jellies (M&S ones are nice) or some easy to eat chocolate, like Aero, or both.
She had to be fed them, but did seem to enjoy them.
You feel you must get them SOMEthjng, since it's Christmas, but once a person is past being aware that it's Christmas anyway, I don't think there's any need to think you have to get a 'proper' present, if there's nothing they need or can use or appreciate.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have previously bought Dad a snowscene bubble thing you turn upside down and shake, and a wind up musical box. Neither would have been his thing pre dementia and probably limited interest but as well as chocs and biscuits I feel it works well.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Such a dilemma for you! I know you said that your mum doesn't need toiletries, but how about some lovely handcream so that she can have a hand/foot massage?