wrong words

seagull50

Dec 13, 2014
North Devon
can I ask im 54 with early onset dementia and sometimes the complete wrong word will come out of my mouth, but I do realise it most of the time and just brush it off, but is this part of my dementia, I guess a small part of me is thinking maybe it isnt? for example I told my grandson we were going to watch '**** age' instead of 'ice age' yes there were plenty of giggles in the room, and I will tell my daughter to put something in the hairdryer when I mean the tumble dryer, but I do still recognise afterwards what I have said! which is confusing, can anyone give any input please xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I understand you have a diagnosis of dementia, but maybe what you are talking about is, for want of a better word, normal...

I've told my husband to switch on the tumble when I've meant washer many a time because my brain is too full of things to remember exactly what I mean to say.. As far as I know, I've not got dementia.

Nellbells put in a brilliant link that explains that at a certain age (over 25) the brain can't keep more than 8 important items in the "instant recall" memory bank. I'm guessing it's far worse for someone with dementia

What I'm trying to say is... It may not be your dementia that's causing these types of memory lapses..... because you are aware of using the wrong word,

it may be that it's because you are "over 25" :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJk02XI_sRA

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I agree with 2jays. I have sometimes said house keys when I mean car keys and I once said to my mum, who does have Dementia "can you go get me a dust bin" I meant duster and my mum knew my mistake!!! I am Tin and I am over 25 years old!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
We are the same ..without dementia , also over 25.

Sheepteach

Sep 4, 2011
Somerset
Totally agree with the other posts -often my mind is screaming 'hairdryer' but what comes out of my mouth is 'lawnmower'! - Could be disastrous ! ;)

I'm pretty sure it's just my brain gone into overload mode - being a 'sandwich carer', working and other curve-balls that life can throw at you, and yes I'm double 25!

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I also have a diagnosis of dementia. Rather than coming out with the wrong words, I forget the word I want, and just stutter, not saying anything at all.
I think both this, and saying the wrong word are a mixture of normal ageing and dementia together.