Writing/Reading/Memoir etc Groups for Early On-Set Alzheimers

ledlowe

Sep 7, 2016
Hi I am a community development worker and I previously posted asking about activities that people with early onset Alzheimers would enjoy. There were plenty of suggestions and I wonder would a writing group be useful or not? Or how could it be best adapted?
Would anyone be interested/able to work on dictating or writing life stories?
And if not would some kind of reading or discussion group be of interest?
Please make any other suggestions for these kind of activities that would be useful.
Also I noted that early evening is not the best time for anyone with children so what kind of time would be good? Thank you!

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
You may find a pwd unable to write or read even in the earlier stages.mums ch did a talking memories session where it was just a round robin type discussion recorded and later transcribed and written up.
The local junior school did a history project at ch too,where the kiddies had short sentences written down that they read out,and then wrote in the pwd answer.
Ie.. Did you have a cooker at home when you were my age?
Did you do exercise at school?
Did you have school dinners?
Very easy basic stuff,which was obviously aimed at the school lesson they were doing.

The ch tried to get a reading club going.it failed miserably . I personally think they miss judged how much the residents would be able to follow a story/ look at the book/ remember what had been read for the next session.
They have had to abandon the idea of a story,and now just do a limerick or poem or very short story at each one hour 'meeting',then talk about it after the coffee served st the end of the meeting. So far,this is working reasonably well.
Ros

QUOTE=ledlowe;1418965]Hi I am a community development worker and I previously posted asking about activities that people with early onset Alzheimers would enjoy. There were plenty of suggestions and I wonder would a writing group be useful or not? Or how could it be best adapted?
Please make any other suggestions for these kind of activities that would be useful.
Also I noted that early evening is not the best time for anyone with children so what kind of time would be good? Thank you![/QUOTE]

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
Hiya ledlowe, my mum had a lot of short stories and poetry published, I'd be happy to send you a couple of her writings about her life in the 30 - 40s. She has VD and is in a care home along with my dad. there was a lovely feature on mum in Living with dementia magazine (Maxine Wilson). I do read her stuff to her but find she loses the thread fairly easily so I end up missing bits out. What she really enjoys is me making up a story, bringing it to life with fancy voices and gestures. What a joy it is to see her so captivated! She also joins in with The Owl and the Pussycat, as do several residents. X Lindy.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I guess it depends on how far down the line the person is with dementia and what their capacity was before diagnosis.
I have gone along to a creative writing group and although I find it hard to do ordinary things, some days making a cup of tea seems beyond me, I am thoroughly enjoying the writing and friendship and support of being in a group.
I have just won the National Memory Day Short story competition writing as the voice of a primary carer. I am involved in the care of a friend with Early onset dementia
You can read my story if you want to on my blog

I would say give it a gocookingbykindlelight.wordpress.com

ledlowe

Sep 7, 2016
You may find a pwd unable to write or read even in the earlier stages.mums ch did a talking memories session where it was just a round robin type discussion recorded and later transcribed and written up.
The local junior school did a history project at ch too,where the kiddies had short sentences written down that they read out,and then wrote in the pwd answer.
Ie.. Did you have a cooker at home when you were my age?
Did you do exercise at school?
Did you have school dinners?
Very easy basic stuff,which was obviously aimed at the school lesson they were doing.

The ch tried to get a reading club going.it failed miserably . I personally think they miss judged how much the residents would be able to follow a story/ look at the book/ remember what had been read for the next session.
They have had to abandon the idea of a story,and now just do a limerick or poem or very short story at each one hour 'meeting',then talk about it after the coffee served st the end of the meeting. So far,this is working reasonably well.
Ros

QUOTE=ledlowe;1418965]Hi I am a community development worker and I previously posted asking about activities that people with early onset Alzheimers would enjoy. There were plenty of suggestions and I wonder would a writing group be useful or not? Or how could it be best adapted?
Also I noted that early evening is not the best time for anyone with children so what kind of time would be good? Thank you!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ros. That's all very useful information. I understand that focus and concentration tends to become shorter and shorter so the idea of poems or short stories would probably work best. Would you think being read TO would be better than people with early onset dementia reading themselves? And regarding writing would people be able to put down their thoughts in writing or do you think a dictation would be better? Although I imagine it will depend on individuals. I just wonder if there is a middle ground I can aim at that would work for most people.
thank you!

ledlowe

Sep 7, 2016
Hiya ledlowe, my mum had a lot of short stories and poetry published, I'd be happy to send you a couple of her writings about her life in the 30 - 40s. She has VD and is in a care home along with my dad. there was a lovely feature on mum in Living with dementia magazine (Maxine Wilson). I do read her stuff to her but find she loses the thread fairly easily so I end up missing bits out. What she really enjoys is me making up a story, bringing it to life with fancy voices and gestures. What a joy it is to see her so captivated! She also joins in with The Owl and the Pussycat, as do several residents. X Lindy.

Hi Lindy - it sounds like reading outloud - poetry or short stories would be stimulating and enjoyable even if people are unable to read or write themselves. Do you mind me asking if your mum has early onset dementia?
thanks

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I read my stories out loud to anyone who will listen!

I am thinking with my book I might get a slightly larger than normal font as I think this would be easier to read.

What does anyone else think?