Wrapped up poo parcels

Epeequeen

Feb 6, 2016
Sorry to just jump in, I'm new here but I don't know the best way to deal with a problem that has started with my Mum. Every time she does a poo she wraps it in paper and will put it in the bin or break it up into the bathroom sink or put it into the toilet paper tube or wander around the house carrying this little parcel of poop and sometimes I find little surprises in random places. I've now come across her trying to put it down the plughole a few times recently and tried to encourage her to put it down the toilet and flush it away but she seems set against doing this for no reason that I can gauge, she gets very defensive about it and I'm afraid of the hygiene implications of poo being carried around the house and under her nails, as she is quite defiant about not using a nail brush and she often sticks her fingers in her mouth. Please help if anyone has any advise to how best deal with the poop parcel problem. Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Epee, welcome to TP
No experience of the poo parcels just the used toilet paper being left everywhere, drawers, bookshelves, under the bed, pretty much everywhere you can think.
Other than supervising all toilet visits (which is what I ended up doing) I don't have any suggestions. Washing or more soaking my wife's hands in some warm water and disinfectant and keeping her nails short seemed to work, she seemed to like her hands being soaked in warm water.
K

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Hi Epee

I would agree with Kevin that supervised visits to the loo may be necessary. I go in with my Dad and tell him clearly what to do, ie drop the paper down the toilet. If I don't, he gets in a proper mess. It may take a while to get used to, but it's better than poo parcels and the like. It's big enough to get a wheelchair in next to the loo, so we chat. The weird world of dementia. I'll try soaking his hands in warm water, as he doesn't like the nail brush. Thanks Kevin.

I hope you do find a workable solution. Welcome to TP

All the best, Heidi

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Welcome epeequeen . I have been supervising my mums toilet visits for 2 years now because her hygiene was lacking a bit . She used to have some strange habits , which I can very gladly say does not exist now that I accompany her . I don't know how feasible it is for you to do that but I'm sure the more you are present it will hopefully break the habit. Good luck and best wishes to you and your mum . Lou

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I think accompanying loved one to toilet is the only option - your presence might distract enough to change the habit. I accompany OH to toilet to avoid having a mess to clear up afterwards. He has a catheter so already accustomed to me taking care of that but isn't it amazing how we adjust and become accustomed to situations we never thought possible to deal with?

Hope the poo parcels stop soon.

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
Goodness me, that's revolting. And I thought urinating in a washing up bowl and pouring the urine down the sink was bad. Now I realise I've little to complain about.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It's not revolting.
It's the product of a brain disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
I experienced this.

I was once a carer for my godfather. He used to do this and I hated it. But now that I have dementia myself I wonder if it was because he was frightened of the flush. I can become frightened of the strangest things - every Christmas and birthday I become convinced there are rats in the Christmas bags and my family have learned not to wrap presents for me because I am so terrified. Monitored and companionable loo visits and possibly not flushing until the person with dementia has left the bathroom could help. Love Shelagh

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Shelagh, thank yiu so much for your insight. So many of out loved ones are not able to explain. Love quilty

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Sorry to just jump in, I'm new here but I don't know the best way to deal with a problem that has started with my Mum. Every time she does a poo she wraps it in paper and will put it in the bin or break it up into the bathroom sink or put it into the toilet paper tube or wander around the house carrying this little parcel of poop and sometimes I find little surprises in random places. I've now come across her trying to put it down the plughole a few times recently and tried to encourage her to put it down the toilet and flush it away but she seems set against doing this for no reason that I can gauge, she gets very defensive about it and I'm afraid of the hygiene implications of poo being carried around the house and under her nails, as she is quite defiant about not using a nail brush and she often sticks her fingers in her mouth. Please help if anyone has any advise to how best deal with the poop parcel problem. Thanks

Sadly this is part of Alzh for some people. Very difficult to deal with too. I can only suggest that you stay close to your mum when she is in toilet. Try to get paper from her( if you can), flush it when she leaves toilet. She might pop it into a paper or plastic bag for you when you are beside her. Marble a plastic bin would encourage her to leave it in the bin. Distraction might work. Mention cup of tea! I got a plastic basin for OH and I encourage him to wash hands in it. I put bubbles in it and sneak an extra dollop on his hands while they are in water.

I hate writing this but I find surprises like this in bathroom and bedroom. I take deep breaths, clean up and then disinfect area. I keep bathroom as clear as possible with bare essentials in it and other stuff out of sight. In the beginning I felt psychically sick doing this but have got used to it now. Well not used to it but I manage.

Welcome to TP where you will get great support.

Aisling ( Ireland)