Wow; I'm shocked!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Morning, All :)

I've never seen anyone here mention it, but, as carers, don't at least some of us generate more rubbish than will fit in one black bin? I know we do, here.

I rang the number provided for our waste/recycling people and asked if I could buy a second bin. I was always under the impression that you had to buy a second bin.

After explaining my situation, I was told: "No problem! You'll get your second bin in about ten working days."

I asked the cost of the bin. "No, there's no charge for it."

"You're joking! I thought you had a buy a second bin!" But I was told, it wouldn't cost a thing.

Is that strange? I think it's strange :D Very nice, very helpful, but strange. I'm very independent. This was really appreciated.

Thoughts?

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
My mum was given an extra wheelie bin free by the council, for her household waste. It has a sticker on the side reading 'Approved 2nd bin'. With fortnightly collections this was essential. I had to fill out a form to request it.

BTW, I originally asked what their arrangements were for collecting clinical waste because I believe some councils provide special bags or bins for soiled incontinence products. I was told there were no arrangements for clinical waste in the area except NHS buildings that have non-council waste contracts. Not invented here seems to be the attitude with Highland Council. :rolleyes:

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England
We erm . . . acquired another black bin last year :eek:

I hadn't noticed, but the neighbour had a shiny new one, VERY CLEARLY MARKED, and there was a second oldish one round the side of our house.

What I had thought was, would the Council's contractor accept to empty two bins from the same house? I've seen reports in the local newspaper of bins that have not been collected because they were slightly over-full. Would a second bin be emptied?

Furthermore, would my poor old Pa be put up before the bench risking transportation to Australia for the larceny of a black bin?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Our's is also free - subject to a £25 admin/delivery charge!!!

They charge us lot here 28 quid for heavy items to be taken in a special truck. I wanted to pay for a second bin, but was told there was no charge. Still can't get over that!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We're changing to a totally new system here in March. We will have a food waste bin which is to be emptied weekly. Another two bins for paper, plastic tin etc and the normal grey bin for everything else. The everything else bin is to move to a fortnightly collection. I contacted the local councillor as I am concerned about the amount of 'hygiene waste' for want of a better description we generate. I wasn't keen for that to hang about in bin for two weeks. Their solution is to give me another bin (free) but it will only be emptied on a fortnightly basis.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
We're changing to a totally new system here in March. We will have a food waste bin which is to be emptied weekly. Another two bins for paper, plastic tin etc and the normal grey bin for everything else. The everything else bin is to move to a fortnightly collection. I contacted the local councillor as I am concerned about the amount of 'hygiene waste' for want of a better description we generate. I wasn't keen for that to hang about in bin for two weeks. Their solution is to give me another bin (free) but it will only be emptied on a fortnightly basis.

Yeah, fortnightly is why I've updated them about my situation, Izzy. The thought of black bags outside of the bin really sucks. I hate it, as we live in an area surrounded by farms, so rats are a problem if you're not very, very careful.

With the cat giving me constant grief, several times a day, rats just won't cut it, on top of that. I would then go completely insane.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We have:-
Blue - cans, glass bottle and jars, plastic bottles, aluminium foil and trays, no yoghurt containers, no plastic food trays, no tops or stoppers - every 2 weeks

Green - paper, cardboard, foil lined cardboard containers - every 2 weeks

Brown - garden waste, food waste (cooked or raw) - every 2 weeks

Grey - residual waste (including hygiene)- every 3 weeks.

No extra bags and all lids must be closed to prevent an open one blowing open in the wind and hitting an operator.

Last edited:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Love your sense of wonder, Chuggalugg!. Nice when something works!!:)
Es
x

Well, I'm so used to major battles to get ANYTHING done - paid for, or not, that this DID come as a major shock. If ya can't make a buck out of someone, they normally can go n whistle! But I got exactly the opposite of that usual scenario this morning. It's so unusual, and I'm thankful :)

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Well done - and so pleased its free! We still have weekly rubbish collection but fortnightly recyclable blue bin collection. I could do with a daily one at the moment as I attempt to clear out all the paperwork. Removing sensitive information iirst is such a chore.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Well done - and so pleased its free! We still have weekly rubbish collection but fortnightly recyclable blue bin collection. I could do with a daily one at the moment as I attempt to clear out all the paperwork. Removing sensitive information iirst is such a chore.

I was shocked, because my Mum wants a garden bin, (brown) That's going to cost her £40, or more.

The black bins are not charged for. Don't know about the recycling bin. I am so not looking forward to chucking old paperwork, Wife. Hubs used to publish a magazine and all that lot has to go, plus whatever else has been generated. He can't do anything, now. It has to be one of the toughest jobs of all: sussing what to keep, or not.

I feel for you.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Morning, All :)

I've never seen anyone here mention it, but, as carers, don't at least some of us generate more rubbish than will fit in one black bin? I know we do, here.

I rang the number provided for our waste/recycling people and asked if I could buy a second bin. I was always under the impression that you had to buy a second bin.

After explaining my situation, I was told: "No problem! You'll get your second bin in about ten working days."

I asked the cost of the bin. "No, there's no charge for it."

"You're joking! I thought you had a buy a second bin!" But I was told, it wouldn't cost a thing.

Is that strange? I think it's strange :D Very nice, very helpful, but strange. I'm very independent. This was really appreciated.

Thoughts?

I think in our area, East Yorkshire, you can request a second bin for any of the collections: brown - food and garden waste, blue - recyclables, green - any other rubbish.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
well'that's very useful to know,wife's pads and daughter's ileostomy bags,things get quite interesting sometimes,i usually fill my friends bin up when desperate,thankyou!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...wife's pads and daughter's ileostomy bags,things get quite interesting sometimes..."

Have you checked if there is a clinical waste collection in your area.
Different LAs collect different things and some LAs charge,in my area stoma bags are included and it is free.

If you put your postcode in
https://www.gov.uk/request-clinical-waste-collection
it will take you to your LA and with luck to the correct dept. in the LA.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
We have fortnightly collections the council couldn't cope with anything more. My OH has injections and a clinical waste syringe bin was provided which when full we take either to the hospital or when the injections are delivered they take it and bring a new one.

My dad had a yellow clinical waste bag for his pads which was collected every week and a new bag left. This I believe was arranged through the incontinence service or district nurse either way its free in West Sussex.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-waste

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
thankyou chuggalug,i enquired about an extra bin yesterday with n e lincs council,chap came out this morning,he used to be a paramedic so fully understood about nids and ileostomy,pads etc and why i wouldn't want to put the packaging from them in recycling to advertise to the neighbours about my wife and daughter's problems,we are having the next size bin and should have it by next friday,job done,good old talking point!!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
thankyou chuggalug,i enquired about an extra bin yesterday with n e lincs council,chap came out this morning,he used to be a paramedic so fully understood about nids and ileostomy,pads etc and why i wouldn't want to put the packaging from them in recycling to advertise to the neighbours about my wife and daughter's problems,we are having the next size bin and should have it by next friday,job done,good old talking point!!

It's awesome on here, innit, Malc! I was shocked a couple of days ago. Went out to go into town and found my extra black bin that someone had snuck up to the front door without me even noticing! I had to ring and thank them for that. At least there ARE some things I can accomplish! :D

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
We erm . . . acquired another black bin last year :eek:

I hadn't noticed, but the neighbour had a shiny new one, VERY CLEARLY MARKED, and there was a second oldish one round the side of our house.

What I had thought was, would the Council's contractor accept to empty two bins from the same house? I've seen reports in the local newspaper of bins that have not been collected because they were slightly over-full. Would a second bin be emptied?

Furthermore, would my poor old Pa be put up before the bench risking transportation to Australia for the larceny of a black bin?

That's what I was worried about, Fred: the fact that because I generate more rubbish than can be fitted in one bin, and having black bags stacked up next to it not only looked an eyesore, but could attract rats, because of where we live - backed onto a small farm. My bin was always over-full. Heavy, too. With two bins, I can arrange things so that they both get emptied at once, if required.

I've managed to build up a good rapport with the bin men. We always have a chat when they arrive. I asked yesterday if both of my black bins could be emptied, and was told "Of course!" Really smashing blokes who do the collections around here. Doesn't half make a difference when people are helpful.

If you have special needs for your rubbish, Fred, ring up your waste people and let them know. It can't hurt.