Would like to help try and raise awareness

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
I would like to help
We have a florist shop and have done a few things to raise money for our local branch and had a lot of local support
But i think like a lot of us must think the public need to aware of more of what it means
Our shop is only a local shop but we have 2 windows and as i have always said to hubby the windows are your selling point i cant think of a proper way to do it at the moment cos of everything going on But if any one can come up with some ideas a window is free it would make me feel like i can make a diferance
AD colours are blue -yellow
i can dress it like that but we need other ideas
Love Bel x

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Raising awareness

Dear Bel,
I think that sounds like a lovely idea! Could you have a display of art work or photos taken of AZ activities, or maybe brief stories of patients similar to the main AZ website?
When I've started talking about my Mum's problems, it's surprising how many people have actually had experience themselves but don't like to mention it.
The more dementia is talked about, the more likely there will be some research and action taken. You could also display some poems. :) :)
Kayla

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising Awarness

Hi KAYLA
do you think i should contact my local branch for art work how would i go about getting permision from some of the TP members to print a few of their posts i do not want to upset any one would it be alright do you think if i printed off some of the fact sheets i need to do a poster to catch peoples eye any ideas i was thinking somthing along the lines of raising awareness for Alz--but not sure how to word it you might think hasnt she got enough on her plate with out taking any thing else on i have thats why i need some help with ideas cos my head keeps going to our problems which is not what i want i feel strongly about raising awareness the public need to know it is more complex than they think and as you said more awareness might lead to more research
together we might be able to make a difference
Love Bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
thanks Norman

Hi Norman
Thanks a lot have printed it off will have a look tomorrrow
no look with the legion but worth a try
Love Bel x

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Bel,
I think your idea of raising awareness is great.
How about choosing one or two of the powerful poems people have written on TP(or perhaps you could display a new one every few days to keep the interest of the public) - I am sure all the 'authors' would give you their blessing. You could print them off on A4, then enlarge them to A3 and embellish them with blue/yellow ALZ colours.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Raising awareness

I wonder if any of the local schools or youth groups in your area would take an interest and produce some artwork and poems. If teachers were involved, they might make it part of a project, which would motivate students. Producing a poster or some written work for a purpose is quite satisfying for children. Do you have any useful contact through your AZ group or customers? I have a poem you could have which was in a writing competition. I based it on my Mum's experiences.
Kayla

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

ThANKS for your replies Kayla i would love to have your poem
for other peoples poems do i need their consent do i need consent for some of the TP posts
i will ask at local schools doctors etc thanks for ideas also local Alz---
i have found some blue - yellow drapes for window
I can do a poster on computor as i brought a disk but as i said i dont know how to word it ----for window for the best impact eg Raising awareness on Alz--
is that enough to catch the eye any ideas please

Love Bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

Hubby has had a good day lots of feed back his idea local ad must have a banner or poster they use he is right we donated to the show they held at the royal show as he rightly said they must of had a poster of sorts
i know they will lend it to us
Love Bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

Dear Kayla
Poem was lovely when i get my fighting head back on it is going to have pride of place in window
Love Bel x

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Say it with flowers?

Bel

lovely ideas here. I seem to remember from another thread (too late and too tired to search right now!) that forget-me-nots were adopted by at least one country as a symbol of care for those with AD and other dementias. Maybe you could work them into your window display? Or sell them, giving a donation to AS for each one?

Dave

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

Hi ALL
Got my fighting head back on today going to do shop window tommorrow a big thank you to Kayla and Norman for your poems i have copied them and framed them today been in contact with local ALZ OFFICE they came around with a lot of posters and info for the public to take away i said i was going to do a small raffle soft toys etc they said they were running an awareness week and had some good prizes donated so i could sell some of their tickets ---i said great a computor system etc will get more people intrested than a soft toy ---
Will let you know how it goes it will be running till the end of july so if any one wants to add anything give us a shout
Love Bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

Hi all
Did window display looks ok poems in frames look good sold quite a few raffle tickets let you know how it goes
Thanks all
Love Bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

Dear Norman
Thanks so much for your poem the people that come in and say how lovely it is is amazing if we can make only 1 person aware of what ad involves it is worth it
Love Bel x

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
Raising awareness

Hi all selling lots of raffle tickets which is great but do not feel i am doing what i intended Raising Awareness my local AD gave me lots of basic leaflets i have put a few in window i suppose it is the old myth people do not want to talk about mental problems they all come in and say i will buy a raffle ticket but not one has asked for more info i cant suggest taking a leaflet or pushing anyone
how can I or any one get the public more aware i know as you all know they think it is an old age thing or a mental problem ----
i just wanted for now to help one person
any suggestions
Love Bel x

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Raffle tickets

Dear Bel,
If you are selling lots of raffle tickets, then people must be reading the things in your shop window and feeling sympathetic. They might not like to ask questions, but if someone in their family was diagnosed with AD, perhaps then they might want information.
Well done! You are doing a good job and I'm sure you've made a difference to at least one person and probably more.
Kayla

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
When I've collected for charities myself I've noticed people didn't seem to want information, too busy I expect.

But they may think they were aware already, after all I'd encountered lots of people with dementia long before my mother was ill and long before there were programmes about them on TV and radio.