Would like to help him more.

happyhappyme

Jan 24, 2016
Hi all i am a career for my hubby. Who ues to sit and do not a thing so i join the gym and got him to join with me and he loves it. What i am finding hard is food to give him as he dont ues his knife and fork some days or he will ues his fingers. I know you can give them finger food but he cant have that all the time. I fill sad sometimes he is 69 i tack him out as much as i can so he dont sit and think of things his memory not as good if he not had a good night sleep. so try and get him to bed between 10 and 11 oclock no later.sometimes he gets up about 3am in the morring as he wants food so i do him tea and toast. sometimes he sits up and said were are we or he on the railway track. so this gets me up and he ask if i can see it i say no i cant way dont you lay down and go back to sleep. i have got a book were i writ things down about him. i wish i could do more for him to help he is always telling me he loves me a bit to much but i dont mind as i love him very much. I just need some one to talk to as i dont know much about demenita as he has ealry on set and thats all i know they gave me a book to read about it but it still dont explan it for me.I only work 12 hours now so i am with him all the time and thats all he want at the moment.

Frank68

Jan 28, 2013
South Coast
Getting in touch with some help

Hi all i am a career for my hubby. Who ues to sit and do not a thing so i join the gym and got him to join with me and he loves it. What i am finding hard is food to give him as he dont ues his knife and fork some days or he will ues his fingers. I know you can give them finger food but he cant have that all the time. I fill sad sometimes he is 69 i tack him out as much as i can so he dont sit and think of things his memory not as good if he not had a good night sleep. so try and get him to bed between 10 and 11 oclock no later.sometimes he gets up about 3am in the morring as he wants food so i do him tea and toast. sometimes he sits up and said were are we or he on the railway track. so this gets me up and he ask if i can see it i say no i cant way dont you lay down and go back to sleep. i have got a book were i writ things down about him. i wish i could do more for him to help he is always telling me he loves me a bit to much but i dont mind as i love him very much. I just need some one to talk to as i dont know much about demenita as he has ealry on set and thats all i know they gave me a book to read about it but it still dont explan it for me.I only work 12 hours now so i am with him all the time and thats all he want at the moment.

Hi there Happyhappyme! I noticed your post and that you are new to this Forum business - and indeed to the whole Altzheimers scene. First, don't worry about about not knowing much - pretty much all of us on here have started from the same place! Second, most of us have found it really really helpful to be in touch with a local group of people who are in the same boat. If you go back to the basic Altzheimers Society website you will find that there is a page and phone numbers for finding out about the Society and its workers in your particular area. Give them a call and explain your situation - they often run a regular meeting which is called An Altzheimers Cafe. We go to ours once a month, and after a cuppa the carers go off and have a meeting to share and learn from each other whilst our partners at entertained in an activity for an hour. It is wonderful to learn you are not alone, you can ask your questions, and get lots of guidance and ideas how best to care for your husband now and in the future.
If you cannot find the info I am referring to on the website, give the Society a ring on 020 7423 3500 and explain that you are new to all this and would like to be in touch with help in your area.
Best wishes from Frank68

Last edited:

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello happyhappyme, Welcome to TP, you will soon learn a great deal from members of TP, ask anything there is always someone here to give you an answer. Regarding your hubby not using his knife and fork, my hubby has had Altzheimers for 10yrs he has just started not using his knife and fork, he started just using his fork, now he uses a spoon, needs to have his food cut up. Keep posting wheneaver you have a problem.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Hubby is getting messy with food now, but I don't mind as long as he can feed himself and is enjoying his meal. He is always hungry lately making his way into fridge so have stocked up on little yoghurt pots and put apples and oranges directly in front so he will pick what he sees first.

happyhappyme

Jan 24, 2016
Thank you

Hello happyhappyme, Welcome to TP, you will soon learn a great deal from members of TP, ask anything there is always someone here to give you an answer. Regarding your hubby not using his knife and fork, my hubby has had Altzheimers for 10yrs he has just started not using his knife and fork, he started just using his fork, now he uses a spoon, needs to have his food cut up. Keep posting wheneaver you have a problem.

Thank you for your post Pamann it was very nice. Yes i have to cut up my hubbys food he eats well. What i am finding is he weres glassis and have had his eyes done they say he has very good eye site but it is if he can not see at all dont know what to do.

happyhappyme

Jan 24, 2016
Thank you

Hi there Happyhappyme! I noticed your post and that you are new to this Forum business - and indeed to the whole Altzheimers scene. First, don't worry about about not knowing much - pretty much all of us on here have started from the same place! Second, most of us have found it really really helpful to be in touch with a local group of people who are in the same boat. If you go back to the basic Altzheimers Society website you will find that there is a page and phone numbers for finding out about the Society and its workers in your particular area. Give them a call and explain your situation - they often run a regular meeting which is called An Altzheimers Cafe. We go to ours once a month, and after a cuppa the carers go off and have a meeting to share and learn from each other whilst our partners at entertained in an activity for an hour. It is wonderful to learn you are not alone, you can ask your questions, and get lots of guidance and ideas how best to care for your husband now and in the future.
If you cannot find the info I am referring to on the website, give the Society a ring on 020 7423 3500 and explain that you are new to all this and would like to be in touch with help in your area.
Best wishes from Frank68

Hi Frank68 awaould just like to say thank you for your help this was very helpful in what you said thank you happyhappyme,