Would leaving Talking Points help?

jmanthony

Nov 30, 2015
Hello -

My husband's father is suffering from early onset dementia, likely because of alcohol abuse over many years. he is about 1.5 years into his fight, and has quickly been going downhill recently (I am guessing because of stress). He's currently living with my husband's mother (his first ex-wife; there are two), and she leaves him on his own for the most part. He is completely alone when she goes to work for a few hours a day.

During this time, he gets very frustrated and upset when he doesn't remember things. Has anyone tried leaving talking points for your patient? I was wondering if leaving a sheet with answers to his most frequent questions (where is my car? when am i getting out of here? did you all go to ___ without me?), would be helpful and maybe avoid some of the frustration?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jen

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ah! I thought you wanted to leave us here at Talking POint and wondered how/what that would help!

Sorry, I cannot answer your question but I am sure someone will be along to help soon.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Jen

Sorry to read about your FIL. Yes, I think your suggestion may help unless you think he may feel insulted at having to be reminded. I would suggest leaving notes in a fixed place e.g. on the door or near a clock XXX name of ex will be back at xtime .

You can but try
Best wishes
Sue:)

jmanthony

Nov 30, 2015
Ah! I thought you wanted to leave us here at Talking POint and wondered how/what that would help!

Sorry, I cannot answer your question but I am sure someone will be along to help soon.

Haha that's actually how I found this forum! I googled "Would talking points help" and this page popped up. Very glad I found it :)