worried

leky34

Feb 2, 2006
cheshire
Hello, my name is Harold, i have just been prescribed Aricept for memory loss, i am aware of what might happen to me, and ive heard all the horror stories of losing your home if i have to go into care, is this true? i want to leave my house to my grandaughter who has held me together and been my rock bringing me meals and helping out in a million ways, can anyone advise? i send my best wishes to all the other old codgers like myself(93) and especially all who care for us. god bless

Wilma

Feb 2, 2006
Dear Harold, cogratulations on starting Aricept. It's not all doom and gloom, with this illness everyone develops at a different rate, it's very individual and can be affected by physical health.
What i'm trying to say is you may not experience the stage of the horror stories that you've heard.
As for losing your home, this may not also happen. This is only if funding is needed to pay for a permanent care placement, which not everyone needs.
There may be a way to sign your property over to your grandaughter, this is possible , but within a certain timescale. Would be best to consult an accountant and also a solicter. Have you completed an enduring power of attorney, this is also a good idea so you can nominate someone to manage yuor finances, should you become unwell [my soliciter thinks everyone should have one just incase you are ill, even temporary, makes sense, though my cynical side thinks he maybe just out to make lots of money!]

Good Luck,
Wilma x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Welcome Harold and Wilma

Glad to have new members on board.

Harold, Wilma has given you some good advice about power of attorney etc.
So glad you are now on Aricept, am sure it will be of benefit. We are all individual, and have different symptons of the same disease, so try to blot out the horror stories, and take life 'day by day'. As my old mum used to say, "smile, it might never happen". Love Connie

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Harold,

Welcome to Talking Point!

The Alzheimer's Society has a fact sheet on paying care home fees that may be helpful:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Caring...idential_and_nursing_care/info_payingfees.htm

The fact sheet mentions that the Alzheimer's Society has a list of solicitors who can offer legal advice in this area. It might be worth ringing the Helpline on 0845 300 0336, it is open from 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Sandy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Welcome Harold
my advice from personal experience is to find a financial advisor.
They are quite able to deal with thw problems that you outline,including the EPA.
I am sure that you will find the Aricept helpful.
Post again and give us an update.
Regards
Norman

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hello Harold
I can't give any better advice than you've already received, your grandaughter sounds like a wonderful lady. Wishing you all the best.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Harold, just wanted to say welcome on board. Your grandaughter sounds like an absolute treasure. Hope you can sort things out to be as you wish. Love She. XX