Worried tonight about Dad's care level

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
:( Dad's friend when to visit him today at the nursing home he moved into on Monday.She said she cam away really worried that he is not being cared for properly and that has left me worried. Most of the time when we have visited he seems to be looked after pretty well although they do seem a little short of staff. Today when his friend arrived, at 2.30pm his bed had still not been made, there was a urine puddle on his bathroom floor, he was dressesd in a vest, t-shirt and a PJ top and on the bottom he had no underwear, no incontinet pad, track suit trousers AND a pair of trousers over the top of them. No socks on either....and he always wears them as he suffers from really cold feet.
I was told he would have a care plan....not seen one yet and also that he would see a doctor this week and one has not been to see him. Do you think these are valid points to bring up when I visit tomorrow:confused:

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
I certainly do think these are valid points to raise. I would ask to see the Manager and ask him/her to show you the care plan. It it discusts me what some of these homes are getting away with. Your dad has been put into care to be cared for but the way he is dressed strikes me he is being left to his own devices. Any puddles on the floor should be cleaned up. What would happen if your dad slips on it and breaks a limb. The excuse "were short staffed" is not acceptable. The're being paid to do a job and the should do it.
If they are short staffed then they should either take on more staff or reduce the amount of residents.That applies to any care home.

Please make an appointment and get it sorted for your dads sake.

Dementia causes enough suffering without the addage of poor nursing home care.

Casselle

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jack, I certainly think you should bring these things up. There are definite failures in care.

I find in John's home that staffing levels are often down at weekends, both carers and cleaning staff. Understandable, they want their weekends off too, but there's no excuse for that kind of neglect.

You should ask to see the head of unit or manager, but again you may have to wait until Monday. It's worth waiting though, to go to the top.

Ask about the care plan at the same time, you should be involved in drawing it up. They don't usually fill it all in at the beginning, though, they wait to see what care is needed, and fill it in gradually over the first month or so.

I hope you manage to sort things out. I had to have a session early on but since then I've had no complaints.

Let us know how you get on.

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks for the advice. I will raise my concerns tomorrow and speak to the manager on Monday. I am worried that weekends the care seems to be a bit hit amd miss. As it was not our choice of nursing home for Dad I want to make sure he is safe, especially as he is a good half an hour drive from me. I do have his name down for another nursing home (he is 4th on the waiting list)as I am not totally convinced about the place he is in, but he seems happy enough...I am determined though that he will get proper care wherever he is!

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
good for you
he want's proper care where ever he is, I would go to the top and ask about the care plan and if he has seen the doctor yet also raise the problems of him being left to his own devises.
good luck please let us know how you have got on

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
:) Well just got back from visiting Dad and he seems fine. He did say that he dressed himself...he had a short sleeve shirt on and PJ bottoms...but he did have socks on today and his sheepskin slippers. He said he is happy with the care he is getting and with the food. The main thing he seemed to worried about is that the toilet floors seem to be wet more often than not. I still would like to know about his careplan and if and when he will see a doctor.But I do feel happier that I have seen him myself.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Any areas of concern should be voiced.

If the home has any integrity, queries will be welcomed and axious relatives appeased. Nothing is perfect but puddles on the bathroom floor are dangerous, especially with those who are already unsteady, and unhygienic, as the urine will be trodden into the carpet.

Inappropriate clothing is upsetting for the family and shows a loss of dignity for the person supposedly being cared for.

Your father may be happy enough with the care he is getting, but you need to be happy too.

Be sure to ask to see the care plan.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Jack
Sorry you've got some concerns about Dad in his new home. They do sound valid. In my experience of looking after my dad, I have realised that unless you kick up merry hell about these things, they dont get addressed. You're going to have to get on to them. I might be wrong, but Dad sounds like he doesn't want to make a fuss, mine was just the same. If I have to do this I always do it out of earshot of Dad, to avoid upset. I would be tempted to give that Social worker who pressurised you into accepting this home an 'ear bending' as well. I am in a similar position re 'Care plans' I will be giving dads the once over in hospital on my next visit, although I do think they have take notice of earlier complaints re specs. You are entitled to give input here. Dad should be dressed appropriately at all times. Its lack of care and disrespect for his dignity. As for the puddles of urine, they're totally unacceptable.
take care
hendy

jack29

Mar 8, 2008
Thanks hendy.

I do intend to bring up my concerns when I visit on Tuesday. Did not think it worthwile to talk to the weekend staff...feel I need to speak to the nursing home manager.
dad's finances have still not been assessed by SS so still not got anything concrete to say how much we need to pay from Dad's pension towards the Nursing Home ( I know the £20 a week to keep rule). Also still waititng for someone from DWP to come and see me about being his appointee.