Worried dil

luda

Jan 27, 2013
Am really concerned about MIL, not sure what to do with this situation, we have arranged for someone to call to help fill in attendance allowance forms it was booked for yesterday but I had to cancel it until nexted week due to me having a hospital appointment, anyway the man still turned up at MIL yesterday after 25 mins the man phoned and asked where I was as he knew I wanted to be there because of her memory problem he soon realised his mistake and said he would call back next week. But I phoned my OH and told him and said I was concerned that she let the man in not really knowing who he was, anyway when he got to his mums, and this is what is really worring me she was adamant that no-one had been there and got angry when he doubted her, he really thought I had got it wrong, when I went to see her today she did say what I had said rang a bell but still wasn't really sure, but how can we stop her from letting strangers in. She did this about 5 years ago and her bag was stolen but luckily it was the one with nothing of valuable in. Will be grateful for any input.:(:confused:

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
We laminated a sign to the front door and gate that said Beware the Dog with a picture of an Alsatian dog as advised by the police. You could also speak to the police if you are worried. they were more than happy to come and see mum when we had a similar occurrence. They also recommended a chain on the door and their phone number if mum was ever in any doubt.they told her they would rather come out 100 times than she end up hurt, they were very good. She actually used the chain for a while but it was a bit of a worry as I once had to climb through a window to get in the house!! the picture of the dog she also kept in place which was a surprise. maybe she saw the sense in it or maybe it was because the police advised it, though she would have forgotten they had called. You can also use something called telecare i believe or even a camera to monitor though with mum events took,over before we could arrange this.

luda

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks Karjo that's is a good idea about the dog sign to be honest didn't give that a thought will do one tonight, she already has a chain but never ever puts on, even got a spy hole which she also doesn't look through. To be honest don't think the monitor would work for her, even with recent event she still won't except that she has a problem.

thanks again.x

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
I would also add to go for damage limitation. Try and make sure your mum does not wear expensive jewellery or have access to large amounts of cash etc. its difficult but if your mum does not object too much remove temptation from the house.
We were lucky in that nothing awful ever happened but by mum ended up sectioned and then in a nursing home. Things are not great now but I look back at how things were and it terrifies me what could have happened. We were so busy just trying to cope and make sure she did not burn the house down, crash her car or get mugged or lost. Luckily she was so paranoid I think she would have seen off anyone with evil intent but there were plenty of imaginery people in and out of her house - at least we assume they were imaginary, we will never know.

luda

Jan 27, 2013
sorry to hear things are not going well for you, hope things start's to improve for you, seems like problems are just starting, the trouble is that my MIL is and has always been so money obsessed and insist on keeping money in the house house did try to reduce the amount by offering to pay some of it into her bank for her, but she was having none of it, she fell and broke her hip recently and is recovering well as far as that is concerned and wants to start going out again which I am dreading because, if she does not only does she not remember she broke her hip and forgets about her walking stick but she will be carrying loads of money about..luckily she doesn't drive and by reading some of the threads on here, am so glad..we did take her out to the local shops last week and told her to have a little wander on her own, it was pitiful to watch her, she got herself so confused, but when we got back she thought everything had been fine:(, so not looking forward to the future, which seems such a sad statement..thanks again for your input..x