Worried about where I will live, can I be kicked out?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I pay a small rent, my parents don’t want me paying market value, they rather I saved a bit. So yes I pay something but not much. But being unemployed now I don’t save anything.
Start keeping note of this but as @canary says you are disregarded on two counts at the moment possibly three.

MaNaAk

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
@canary @MaNaAk thank you both for your help in this. It is so confusing and, as I am unemployed, it’s even more worrying with no income. I appreciate the assistance and advice.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Can I ask,

How do you go about getting a disregard? Do I wait for the financial assessment and ask then or do I have to contact someone first? I am not yet at the point of needing to do so, I’d just like to know what to do when the time comes.
I have never lived away from my parents. I was waiting for my sister who’s autistic to find a job as I felt I couldn’t leave until she was settled. I was ready to move out 10 years ago, started looking at places....then mum developed a brain infection.....so I felt I had to stay at home help my dad look after my sister and increasingly my mum too. Now mum has Alzheimer’s and I’m unemployed. I don’t know what to do if mum ends up needing care.

I think you need to seek advice on your situation, councils although hard pushed for money to fund care are not completely heartless. If as you say you are a main carer at home, then the council have to take that into consideration and as @MaNaAk has done to keep any evidence of what you do, whether its financial or giving care. If the time comes then you need to ask the financial asessor from the LA for consideration of disregard, even though you don't fully fit the criteria yourself you do have good grounds to ask as @canary has said.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There seems to be some confusion on this thread between mandatory disregard and discretionary disregard.

Mandatory disregard means that the Local Authority has to disregard (not count) the house in the financial assessment. If the spouse of someone who has moved into a care home is still living there, or if there is a relative who is disabled then the house is a mandatory disregard and cannot be used towards the care home fees.

What this means for you @Cazcaz is that so long as either your dad or your sister is living in the house, then it will be disregarded and you can continue living there. The Local Authority doesnt have any choice about this.

If both your dad and your sister stop living there, then the house ceases to be a mandatory disregard, but if you are still living there yourself you can apply for discretionary disregard. This means that the Local Authority can decide whether to allow the house to be disregarded or not. In this case, things like how long you have lived there, whether you were a carer and whether you have put money towards the house can all be used as part of your application.

Id like to repeat, though, that discretionary disregard would only happen if neither your dad, nor your sister were still living there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa