Worried about persistent cough

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Just after Christmas last year my wife (PWD) and I caught the worst coughs ever, at one point I lost my voice and had to cancel dental appointments. We did not bother going to the doctors, after all, it was just a bad cough and shop remedies seemed to do the trick. After a few weeks, we got better (now regretting not taking the flu jab when offered!), but we still have the remnants of the cough.
We have carers coming in four times a day for personal care, and all the carers know we have had bad coughs for ages and it is not related to the Coronavirus thing.
Recently the care provider is imposing new restrictions on their worker (washing their hands on entry and leaving the house, wearing masks, etc). I just wonder how long it is going to be before they say they cannot enter a property if a person inside has a cough. If that happens we will be truly stuffed.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @Alex54

I developed a chest infection the week after my wife's funeral (mid Feb), which included a persistent cough, green phlegm and sore throat. I know from past experience that this was a bacterial infection and true to form, it cleared up after about 2 to 3 weeks (I don't usually bother the GP or take antibiotics, unless it doesn't go).

It has left me with a bit of a tickly cough (non-productive), which again is normal for me but I feel the need to try and suppress it when out and about, given the current situation.

I notice that when listening to the recorded messages whilst waiting in the call queue for the GP surgery (checking if routine blood test will still be done), they say "if you have a new persistent cough, please do not visit". So I would assume that those people with long standing coughs (which many folk have this time of the year), you should be okay?

Maybe worth contacting the care agency in advance to explain your concerns?

Phil

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I have asthma and allergies so I'm always sniffing and coughing. I'm very aware of it now and am careful not to cough while I'm out. I do think the cough is a bit of a habit though so maybe this'll help me break it..

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I agree with @Philbo about contacting them with your concerns.
Other ideas would be to contact the GP to obtain antibiotics to try and stop the cough completely in its tracks.
or what about typing up this note and giving it to any care staff who are not completely familiar with you?
Just after Christmas last year my wife and I caught the worst coughs ever, at one point I lost my voice and had to cancel dental appointments. We did not bother going to the doctors, after all, it was just a bad cough and shop remedies seemed to do the trick. After a few weeks, we got better (now regretting not taking the flu jab when offered!), but we still have the remnants of the cough.
I have informed you sunshine happy care agency of this long standing cough.
I also now take my temperature every day
records below.
Today at 8.15am my temperature is 37.0.
The reason I am taking my temperature is a that raised temperature is an indicator of the bug and I wish to give you further reassurance of my health should I start coughing!
my wife and I continue to be so grateful for your wonderful work in such difficult times.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Thanks, @Philbo and @Weasell, contacting the care company sounds the logical solution. The problem is that they are just the regional branch of a larger company and it is the head office attitude which worries me the most. Basically head office dictates what happens and the branches have little freedom to respond to local needs.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Thanks, @Philbo and @Weasell, contacting the care company sounds the logical solution. The problem is that they are just the regional branch of a larger company and it is the head office attitude which worries me the most. Basically head office dictates what happens and the branches have little freedom to respond to local needs.
In that case should you contact them at all?
what if you get an ivory tower tyrant, and all you have done is highlight yourself as a problem?
Previous advice withdrawn????

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
In that case should you contact them at all?
what if you get an ivory tower tyrant, and all you have done is highlight yourself as a problem?
Previous advice withdrawn????
My last cough was bad and long enough to have an x ray.
The doctor assured me antibiotics would not work, he prescribed them anyway when I pushed.
They did work, they cured it.
sorry I can’t remember which ones they were.