Worried about NYE

chloehvy

May 4, 2018
Hi all,

I feel like I’ve posted a lot over this festive period so I apologise for that! It’s been nearly a year since my mum was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s, she’s deteriorated a bit but not massively.

Anyway, I’m 22 and would love to go to my university city to celebrate with my best friends one last time before we all graduate for New Years Eve. If I was a normal 22 year old I’d do it in a heartbeat but I feel so guilty because what if by next New Years my mum has deteriorated to a point which I can’t even say “happy New Years!” to her? I’ve spent the whole Christmas period with her (my birthday included) and whilst it’s been difficult it was definitely great to spend so much time with her. New Years has never been a big deal for my family anyway but a small part of me is saying I should spend it with my mum.

Does anyone have any advice? It’s so hard knowing when to be a normal kid and when to put the disease first!

Thank you and happy New Years to all xx

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hi all,

I feel like I’ve posted a lot over this festive period so I apologise for that! It’s been nearly a year since my mum was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s, she’s deteriorated a bit but not massively.

Anyway, I’m 22 and would love to go to my university city to celebrate with my best friends one last time before we all graduate for New Years Eve. If I was a normal 22 year old I’d do it in a heartbeat but I feel so guilty because what if by next New Years my mum has deteriorated to a point which I can’t even say “happy New Years!” to her? I’ve spent the whole Christmas period with her (my birthday included) and whilst it’s been difficult it was definitely great to spend so much time with her. New Years has never been a big deal for my family anyway but a small part of me is saying I should spend it with my mum.

Does anyone have any advice? It’s so hard knowing when to be a normal kid and when to put the disease first!

Thank you and happy New Years to all xx
You should go with your friends. You've done plenty already. Susan

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Honestly, chloe, I would spend it with your friends. You will never be able to do that again and you can say Happy New Year to your mum when you get back. You have not neglected your mum and, as you say, the New year wasnt a big deal in your family, so dont you dare feel guilty

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I would go and enjoy the night if I was 22 again. You have worked hard to support your mum and deserve a night off.

chloehvy

May 4, 2018
Thanks so much everyone, I think I just needed a bit of reassurance. This disease is such a theif! It creates the urge to spend every last minute with your loved one.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Always TP advice is if the PWD is safe and content the carer needs to enjoy their life as well...
Have fun Happy New Year to you and your friends

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I hope you have decided to have some 'me' time this evening with your friends and have fun and no need to feel any guilt whatsoever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew