Worried about neighbour.

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
HI, I am worried about a neighbour. He was widowed years ago, retired a couple of years ago, has a son who lives hours away. He goes out once a day in his car to the local supermarket. His driving is erratic and worrying. He seems dazed and won't talk to any of us or accept any help. He seems to be going down the road my husband did before he was diagnosed with dementia. I don't know what to do about his driving. If I don't say anything and he has an accident I would feel that maybe I could have prevented it. His son can be contacted by another neighbour, and I don't know if I should ask her to do so. Or do I just leave it??

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You can contact the DVLA anonymously to report concerns about a driver. They wont withdraw his license just on your say so, they will probably ask him to go for a driving assessment, so dont feel guilty about it.

Saltydog

Nov 1, 2017
South West
I informed DVLA about a neighbour of mine. It was completely anonymous and the GP was informed. They did take his license off him but bless he did still attempt to take the car out afterwards. I really felt that it got to a point where he was close to having a very serious accident - he was regularly having dinks to the car. The occasion I reported him was when he managed to get home after 3 hours of getting lost for a trip and returned home with no tyre on the rear wheel on the motorway. He drove home on rim. How he didn’t get stopped and have a serious accident was luck indeed. Not going out then resulted in a rapid decline in his dementia- It was a blessing in the end as the family then started to take an interest.

Daze

Jan 13, 2020
Thank you all for your help. I have just seen him come back in his car and when he parked he went completly up the path, luckily no one was walking past. He has declined since the lockdown so he obviously needs help. I will contact the Council.