Worried about my Mother's state of mind

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
I had a dispute with the nieghbours for a while as uncle who used to live in the house with me kept shouting and going mad but he is in a care home now. Today I had a small disagreement with my Mother as I was trying to heat my tea up in the ovean and it was still cold. I went up to my room with my dinner and she came in a few minutes later screaming and shouting at me saying she is sick of the shouting but I wasn't even shouting at her. She was telling me to move away from her and blaming me for stating rows . I'm on universal credit and I am trying to look for a new house to live. She had outbursts with me screaming and shouting 3 times now. And thinks it is me doing it and accussing me of finding it funny. I'm not laughing though. And later on it seems she can't remember any of it. Sometimes she is laughing at things that arn't that funny. She has an appointement with a psychiatric doctor in december. I'm just feeling annoyed with her again now as I don't like her shouting. The nieghbours are also listening. My Mum is looking for a new house soon and I'm looking for one on my own.

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
I hope you find somewhere soon @Kate221 . I know I couldn't have cared for my dad if I hadn't been able to go to my own home in the evening.
Thanks Bunpoots.

I was trying to talk to her this morning about her shouting but she got aggressive and annoyed at me again shouting out I was swearing at her. Which I wasn't. So it's probably best if I keep out of her way now. She has got like this sometimes for a few years now and I feel it's just getting worse.

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire

Hi @Kate221 ,

You might find the above link useful. Trying to reason with someone with dementia is a very hard, if not impossible, thing to do. How they see life is very different to us.

It's always best to avoid conflict. When my husband got uptight and annoyed with me over something he saw as wrong I would say I was sorry he felt like that and I would walk away. I felt him hearing me say sorry was sending the message to him that I’d listened. It did help many times, not ever one, but certainly enough times to avoid an explosion.

Compassionate communication is not easy to stick to and it takes a while to see how it does help and it will give you ideas of how to deal with lots of common situations where with the right words in the right place can ease .the journey.

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019

Hi @Kate221 ,

You might find the above link useful. Trying to reason with someone with dementia is a very hard, if not impossible, thing to do. How they see life is very different to us.

It's always best to avoid conflict. When my husband got uptight and annoyed with me over something he saw as wrong I would say I was sorry he felt like that and I would walk away. I felt him hearing me say sorry was sending the message to him that I’d listened. It did help many times, not ever one, but certainly enough times to avoid an explosion.

Compassionate communication is not easy to stick to and it takes a while to see how it does help and it will give you ideas of how to deal with lots of common situations where with the right words in the right place can ease .the journey.

I don't know if it is dementia. She hasn't been right in her mind for the past few years. Thanks for the advice jammoor