worried about my mother

missmuffet

May 31, 2015
Hello, I'm new to this. I have noticed a change in my mother as she is having memory loss and seems to get confused and looks panicky when I ask her a question she can't answer and she looks to my dad so he can answer for her. He has taken her twice to the doctor worried about her memory loss and both times the gp told him not to worry it is old age even though her mother had dementia and her father parkinsons. He really had to encourage her to see the doctor and is refusing to see the doctor again and says there is nothing wrong with her and the doctor told them it was old age and he must accept that! She says there is nothing they can do and he tells her there are drugs to help but she refuses to go. Do we try convince her to go again to the gp and maybe see another doctor? I have noticed changes in her and even friends visiting recently said they noticed she was not as communicative as she used to be and didn't seem to understand some of the discussions and was very quiet.

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
Hello, I'm new to this. I have noticed a change in my mother as she is having memory loss and seems to get confused and looks panicky when I ask her a question she can't answer and she looks to my dad so he can answer for her. He has taken her twice to the doctor worried about her memory loss and both times the gp told him not to worry it is old age even though her mother had dementia and her father parkinsons. He really had to encourage her to see the doctor and is refusing to see the doctor again and says there is nothing wrong with her and the doctor told them it was old age and he must accept that! She says there is nothing they can do and he tells her there are drugs to help but she refuses to go. Do we try convince her to go again to the gp and maybe see another doctor? I have noticed changes in her and even friends visiting recently said they noticed she was not as communicative as she used to be and didn't seem to understand some of the discussions and was very quiet.

welcome to TP and sorry you have not had a reply yet. it's a busy site and unfortunately some posts sometimes just get missed, so I am just bumping you up so you get a reply
i am not sure of the best course of action but I would say now is definately the time to look at getting power of attorney sorted for both parents. Then you would be able to talk to your Mum's GP. It can take a few months to organise and Mum and Dad may well be difficult over it, but it really will help in the long run. you can also talk to her GP and explain the situation as you see it. obviously the GP cannot discuss but he can get the ball rolling if he realises there are genuine concerns, memory clinic appointments for instance. Your mum will be reluctant, it's quite normal with dementia. thats when the trickery and little white lies need to start. I had to wait until my Mum had a cold and then got her there even though it was just a sniffle. I brought up her memory as a little extra/ laughing matter but luckily the GP cottoned on and got the referral Mum needed. mind you when the appointment came through several months later she was furious and it's been downhill ever since!

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
hello missmuffet, and yes welcome to TP. It stated about 18months ago with my mum. She started to forget little things, started to keep a diary.......excuse I live a busy life I like to see what I have done...(she didn't) she began to fall and eventually we got an appointment and dementia was diagnosed. We (my sister and I) lost dad 4.5yrs ago and now thinking back yes mum has always been anxious, panicky, but it was only when she fell I mentioned Parkinson's to doc shaking my head, she knew what I meant and so ball started to roll. Now she is on meds and we do have carers coming in.

missmuffet

May 31, 2015
hello missmuffet, and yes welcome to TP. It stated about 18months ago with my mum. She started to forget little things, started to keep a diary.......excuse I live a busy life I like to see what I have done...(she didn't) she began to fall and eventually we got an appointment and dementia was diagnosed. We (my sister and I) lost dad 4.5yrs ago and now thinking back yes mum has always been anxious, panicky, but it was only when she fell I mentioned Parkinson's to doc shaking my head, she knew what I meant and so ball started to roll. Now she is on meds and we do have carers coming in.

Thank you for your response, it seems our journey is just beginning and it sounds like its going to be a bumpy ride|

missmuffet

May 31, 2015
welcome to TP and sorry you have not had a reply yet. it's a busy site and unfortunately some posts sometimes just get missed, so I am just bumping you up so you get a reply
i am not sure of the best course of action but I would say now is definately the time to look at getting power of attorney sorted for both parents. Then you would be able to talk to your Mum's GP. It can take a few months to organise and Mum and Dad may well be difficult over it, but it really will help in the long run. you can also talk to her GP and explain the situation as you see it. obviously the GP cannot discuss but he can get the ball rolling if he realises there are genuine concerns, memory clinic appointments for instance. Your mum will be reluctant, it's quite normal with dementia. thats when the trickery and little white lies need to start. I had to wait until my Mum had a cold and then got her there even though it was just a sniffle. I brought up her memory as a little extra/ laughing matter but luckily the GP cottoned on and got the referral Mum needed. mind you when the appointment came through several months later she was furious and it's been downhill ever since!

Thank you for your reply and for your advice as I have never thought about a power of attorney|