Worried about my dad

map4434

Dec 4, 2015
Hi I'm 16 years old and my dad is 55 and I live with him. He can seems to function in life pretty well but he seems to be having some memory problems. He has always been a bit of an "airhead" and a bit clumsy and unnattentive, caught up in his own world fir as log. As I remember, but recently I have noticed he has had more problems with memory. He often has to search around the house for his keys of wallet after putting them down somewhere. A couple of months ago he had to ask me which side of the car got bumped by a motor scooter the day after it happened. He seems very inattentive at time and day dreaming but has always been like this. When he forgets lots of things easily. He also sometimes has trouble comprehending what some people say to him when it is of no importance to him. Could he have dementia? maybe he has always been like this and I only have noticed his recently due to my wiser age? Maybe he has something else like adhd? I really hope not as he has almost no support network and I'm only a teenager. He still works full time without problem and renovates the house fine. He has completely no problem functioning. Am I just a worry wort?

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to TP.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. This must be quite a worry for you. Is there anyone you could talk to about this? I wondered if you've talked to your dad about your worries. I know that will be hard but perhaps you could persuade him to go to the GP.

Are you still at school? If you are there may be a support network there for you. Perhaps a pastoral teacher you could share your concerns with.

I'm really glad you have found this forum. A few other young carers post here too. I'm sure you will get lots of help and support from members here.

There is also a site for young carers which you might find helpful.

https://babble.carers.org

This site is an online support service for young people aged 18 and under in the UK, who help to look after someone in their family who has an illness, disability, drug/alcohol addiction or mental health condition. It's a place for young carers to share their experiences and support each other in a safe environment.

Email: info@carers.org

Phone: 0844 800 4361

Address: Carers Trust, 32-36 Loman Street, London, SE1 0EH

Take care.

Izzy

Last edited: