Worried about mum

Lostsomewhere

Jan 15, 2022
Am I clutching at straws to think that is what my mother has? She had a rotten bout of something thought to be viral following a flu jab the week before... whilst suffering extreme tiredness & sickness she kept holding her head complaining of a severe headache over her left eye. Paramedic prescribed antibiotics & a week later she was no better. Her doctor wouldn’t come out when we said she did not want to go to hospital he arranged for blood & urine tests... and prescribed stronger antibiotics.... doctor said all urine & blood tests were normal. Stop the antibiotics because they were making her wretch.... she will be fine in a few days...says he. Mum recovered enough to fly to Spain a week later for Xmas & new year. She was frail but looking forward to a holiday in the sun....within days of arriving at my sisters home where she had been many times mum suddenly didn’t recognise my sister, didn’t know where she was and has gone downhill to a state of not being able to do anything...I have FaceTimed every day and whilst she recognises me she is so out of it and we are all at our wits end as to what to do... 1st instinct was to get her home ASAP but sister says she can’t live on her own anymore so I am now trying to get care into place before I get her home which in itself appears to be a mammoth task as her rapid deterioration is obvious... not even able to walk unaided and before her illness & holiday she was happily living independently. She is 90 so how do I get a proper diagnosis without her being left on a trolley in a hospital as all her GP says is call 111....

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Lostsomewhere
a warm welcome to DTP

what a worrying situation

has your mum been seen by a doctor where she is, in case there is something that can be done to help her

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Lostsomewhere and a warm welcome from me too.
That is a real worry about your mum and I can't see it being resolved until she is properly checked over by a doctor, either where she is or after you've managed to get her to return home.
Do you have Power of Attorney, because if you do, maybe you could organise a move to a care home for some respite when she returns, to give you some time to see if the problems are just the after effects of the virus or if there is something else going on, though I think a thorough check up sounds like it is needed.
I'm sure others will be along with their suggestions shortly.