worried about mum

Iggy2

Apr 6, 2020
hi-my mum is showing signs of dementia...we think..she thinks strange people are in the house with her & keeps thinking my dad is not always there which he is.

she is on lots of meds for heart etc & has banged her head several times in the past & her balance in non existant basically..ive spoke to gp to see if can do a ct scan on her head as keeps saying getting headaches but what with the corona virus its worrying to get her into hospital...don't know what to do & shes getting upset & scared..... :(

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
hi-my mum is showing signs of dementia...we think..she thinks strange people are in the house with her & keeps thinking my dad is not always there which he is.

she is on lots of meds for heart etc & has banged her head several times in the past & her balance in non existant basically..ive spoke to gp to see if can do a ct scan on her head as keeps saying getting headaches but what with the corona virus its worrying to get her into hospital...don't know what to do & shes getting upset & scared..... :(

Hello

Has this behaviour come on suddenly? If so I am wondering if you can get a urine sample to your mum's GP to see if she has an infection.

Mum mum used to think there were people in her flat. Can you reassure her that they are no longer there (it may help for you to actually go through the pretence of checking every room) and distract her with something she finds calming? Sometimes even just sitting down for a cup of tea and something to eat can be reassuring.

Keep posting. There are people with a lot of experience on here who will try and help you.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Lisatmelton , welcome to tp , I’m sorry you need to visit this forum bit it’s a great place with tons of experience and advice . These strange times throw up lots of issues , agree with @lemonbalm that any kind of infection in the body can have a dramatic effect on people , my dad didn’t have dementia but did have delirium once which was attributed to lack of sleep and infection , he was very confused and unstable and could barely stand , he was taken in to hospital but all they did was put him on a drip for 12 hrs . I would try and encourage plenty of fluids until you can get her to gp, can you get a telephone consultation ? They might have more ideas , could be medication needs tweaking slightly too, so many possible reasons . When mum is confused it’s best to go along with it and not contradict and try and distract with tea, cake etc.I have no experience of this particularly as my PWD has only once not recognized me maybe say they have gone now and won’t be back as you have told them not to . Hope you mange to get some help /advice .

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Lisatmelton and welcome to the forum from me too. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP, as has been suggested. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Beyond that you mention that your mum is upset and scared and maybe the GP could help with that in the short term

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Iggy2

Apr 6, 2020
Hi @Lisatmelton , welcome to tp , I’m sorry you need to visit this forum bit it’s a great place with tons of experience and advice . These strange times throw up lots of issues , agree with @lemonbalm that any kind of infection in the body can have a dramatic effect on people , my dad didn’t have dementia but did have delirium once which was attributed to lack of sleep and infection , he was very confused and unstable and could barely stand , he was taken in to hospital but all they did was put him on a drip for 12 hrs . I would try and encourage plenty of fluids until you can get her to gp, can you get a telephone consultation ? They might have more ideas , could be medication needs tweaking slightly too, so many possible reasons . When mum is confused it’s best to go along with it and not contradict and try and distract with tea, cake etc.I have no experience of this particularly as my PWD has only once not recognized me maybe say they have gone now and won’t be back as you have told them not to . Hope you mange to get some help /advice .
Thank you very much for your kind words n advice x

Iggy2

Apr 6, 2020
Hello

Has this behaviour come on suddenly? If so I am wondering if you can get a urine sample to your mum's GP to see if she has an infection.

Mum mum used to think there were people in her flat. Can you reassure her that they are no longer there (it may help for you to actually go through the pretence of checking every room) and distract her with something she finds calming? Sometimes even just sitting down for a cup of tea and something to eat can be reassuring.

Keep posting. There are people with a lot of experience on here who will try and help you.
Thank you very much.i have managed to get antibiotics from the doctor in case infection in body.take care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife