Worried about John

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Dear Hazel

My thoughts will be with you and John tomorrow as you, and your family and friends, celebrate his life together. I hope the day turns out to be everything you wish it to be.

I thought i'd share with you the poem by Canon Henry Scott-Holland which echoes my persective of those who i have loved and lost...

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Pray, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort without the trace of a shadow in it.
Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you somewhere very near just around the corner. All is well.

Lots of love
Fiona

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Hazel, you will be in my thoughts tomorrow, I hope the day is everything it should be and you can find comfort in your farewell to John. Wishing you strength to see you through a difficult day.

love jaynexx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
This is later than intended as I lost my Broadband connection. Glad you will have lots of support tomorrow, Hazel, and I hope it will be the calm, peaceful day that you want. You shall be in my thoughts.

Loopiloo xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Some of you will remember I posted about the lady who was making quilts commemorating some of the residents.

I've just had a email from her saying she's finished John's quilt, and asking if I still want it on display.

Of course I do!:)

It consists of smaller versions of nine of John's paintings, with his daffodils in the middle. Everyone thinks of the daffodils as symbolising John, and I've given them a framed print to hang in the home.

She's picked up the motif for the border, and there's a narrow inset of John's tartan. I asked for it to be bright. It's 4' square.

I haven't seen the original yet, but I can't wait. It's a fitting memorial I think to hang in the home.

And will round off this thread nicely.

John's quilt cropped.jpg

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Hazel what a beautiful quilt and treasured memories of Johns talent, is this to be displayed in the home or auctioned, I can remember you posting at the design stage and a few hicupps, but it has turned out beautifully, any takers for your furniture yet?, goodnight Pam

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It's to hang in the home, Pam.

She came up with a beautiful design originally, which I loved. But what happened in the meantime I don't know, possib'y it was too complicated, but she came up with something that was dark and gloomy, and so not John, I burst into tears.

So this was the compromise solution, and I'm very please with it.:)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Thank you so much for sharing Hazel.

It may be second time around with the design, but I really feel it translates so well. A fitting and permanent reminder of a lovely man.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks everyone. I'll see it next week, when it goes on display in the town's arts centre. She asked my permission to include it in the exhibition, and of course I said yes. There will be a bit about John beside it, so people will know it's about him. He was quite active in arts circles before he was ill, and even after, so many will relate to it.

John always supported local artists, and I've got so many paintings, far too many for the new house, but I won't get rid of them, they're so much part of him. Of course, John's own paintings will take pride of place.

After the exhibition the quilt will hang in the nursing home. I'm proud as punch!:)

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
I love the quilt Hazel and the idea of it being a permament keepsake.Having it in the exhibition is also wonderful.I am so pleased for you.Did John know about the quilt , I guess not, but if he had I`m sure he would have been so proud too.

I really wish you all the best for the future Hazel,whatever that may entail.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Staffs